Extensions - Bottleneck?

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM
First I want to say that I think the Extension Manager and the way that was done is excellent work.

My question is though, since a single instance of the extension is created in the Global.asax on startup of the application, could this cause a bottleneck for ASP.NET?

I'm not 100% sure on how the threading of ASP.NET, but it seems that under heavy load, the extensions could cause a bottleneck, as there is only one instance of the extension class in memory for use.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:25 PM
Extenstion manager only loads registered extensions at the application starts. The actual works are done by each extension object. It also performs some administrative tasks in the admin pages only when the page is opened/updated.

BE.N architecture dictates heavy usage of singletons. Not only the extension manager that is implemented as singleton; domain objects, user controls, etc are also singletons.

So far, when doing load testing with Visual Studio, performance is not the main concern. I will say that performance of BE.N is excellent. This can be understood since database roundtrip calls are minimized since all objects are cached as singletons.

My main concern is thread safety: http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=28441

Agus Suhanto