Events Module/Extension

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Has anyone come across an Events listing implemented for BlogEngine?

Can anyone highlight any gotchas in implementing this myself, as I've only ever customized the themes up to now?

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

To my knowledge there's not a single events listing, but you can search the string "event EventHandler<" in BlogEngine.Core and get a list of all events. Here's a screenshot of the Find Results in Visual Studio.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Sorry Dave, I meant an application as in a Calendar of Events...

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

HAHA!  And I was so proud of that answer, too! :-)

Actually, Sueetie has a feature where a community calendar event can be integrated with a blog post, so the item shows up on the calendar with a "Click for More" which takes you to the blog post.  Here's a Sueetie Wiki document on it which includes a few screenshots if you're interested.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Oops, should have been more specific!

I like Sueetie but it's overkill for the situation I'm in right now. For one, there is no way I would use a Calendar for displaying data such as events - to me, it's a date picker, nothing more.

We're turning away work every week because we need a CMS that I can develop custom code for (that is Web Forms based not MVC). That plus the fact that a lot of CMS sites we work on require an Events Listing. I need a CMS that meets this criteria and that I can set up quickly on a server and have non-techy people take it from there - tall order I know! BlogEngine is the only product I have seen that almost fits the bill... except for an Events Listing :/

I'll probably have to bite the bullet and code it myself for BlogEngine. But It's hard to believe that nobody has created a BlogEngine extension for this common requirement.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I'm a Lists Man as well, so I was sure to create Calendar Event List controls.  Here's a demo.  Not trying to sell you, just curious about your definition of an Events Listing.

Good luck,

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I usually try to avoid using the word "Calendar" when it comes to events listings. As a Developer I see a ListView. Here's my response to a Developer that posted a question relating to this on Stack Overflow:

I often come up against this "problem in perception" with clients who want their events displayed in Calendar; their argument is usually based on what someone else is has done and the fact that they are used to this practice from viewing legacy sites.

Anthony :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

If you bite the bullet and write an events listing for BlogEngine, would you mind sharing it as an extension. My requirements are slightly different, but it would be a good starting point. 

I currently have an events listing as plain old HTML on a BE page, it's a rolling list of repeating events that I update manually by cutting and pasting from top to bottom as events come and go. The events are also shown in Google Calendar where everything is duplicated and manually updated, it's a real pain. The plan was to eventually put something together that hooks into Google Calendar by way of an extension to manage and automate the whole process - but it's always manyana.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Will definitely be taking a look at it over the coming weeks. If I go ahead and do it, I will certainly share it :-)

While we're on the subject, a PayPal module is sorely needed also...

Anthony :-)

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Good show. 

Have you checked out this extension by any chance.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Great, thanks for that Andy! :)