RSS icon in category list cannot be hidden

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:03 AM
Bug: Using the BrightSide theme, I've noticed that the category list control continues to display the RSS link/icon even though the control has the icon turned off.  This is using 1.3.

...Matt
Jun 24, 2008 at 12:05 AM
It appears to be working fine now.  But now I have 2 categories.  Maybe there's a bug if there's only one category.

...Matt

mwhouser wrote:
Bug: Using the BrightSide theme, I've noticed that the category list control continues to display the RSS link/icon even though the control has the icon turned off.  This is using 1.3.

...Matt

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:31 PM
Ok, something funky is happening.  Sometimes the RSS icon+link is there, sometimes it's not.  I'm fiddling around with my own theme.

Trying to determine a pattern...

...Matt

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Hi Matt,

Would you share the link of the BrightSide theme for BE.N? I tried to google it but all I've got is the one for Wordpress.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Here is the link:
http://www.onesoft.dk/post/2008/01/New-BlogEngine-Theme---Bright-Side-of-Life.aspx

However, I've noticed it's not specifically related to this theme.  The theme does not include the recent posts control, so I modified it to include it and I noticed that it would show the Rss Icon.  However, after some time, the icons disappeared.  It's weird.

I noticed the same phenomenon creating my own theme:  when I initially include the control, the RSS icon is present, regardless of the property value, then after a while the icons disappear.

...Matt

suhanto wrote:

Hi Matt,

Would you share the link of the BrightSide theme for BE.N? I tried to google it but all I've got is the one for Wordpress.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:12 PM

OK.

I got the same phomenon to happen with the Standard theme.

2 different servers, but the same unmodified installation files.  I checked the SidePanel.ascx files and both are like:

<blog:CategoryList runat="Server" />

Server 1:

Server 2:

...Matt

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Figured it out.

Start with a theme with the rss icon visible (eg. Standard).  Switch to a theme with the rss icons not visible (eg. Dirtylicious).  Notice that the icons are visible anyways.

Restart your IIS server (either Restart, or Stop and Start).

Refresh your Dirtylicious page.  Notice the Rss icons disappear.

Switch back to Standard.  Notice the icons are not visible (they should be).

Restart IIS again and refresh your browser.  The icons appear.

I noticed this on my local Vista IIS 7.0 server and the IIS server my host is using (although I cannot reboot their server to validate my hypothesis).

...Matt