Front page in many languages?

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Themes
Jun 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM
Hi i'm creating one website and i have added the blog as one section that is called "News and events", however the page is in spanish and english, my administration system has options for both languages. First i were thinking on installing two Blog Engines, one for english and one for spanish, but after that i tought of separing them in categories, and searching through the code to only show the categories in english in one version and the categories in spanish in the other.

Has someone done this for another site? Or have a better idea? I don't know how to set the pages so that some open one theme and some open another...

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:57 AM
I'm currently working on this. Source code is already published under the codeplex project named MultiLangBlogEngine, but I haven't released one version yet. This work is based on BlogEngine.NET 1.3.

Sample website that is now using this engine is my own blog. It's available in two languages: http://suhanto.com (English) and http://suhanto.com/id (Indonesian).

You can configure it for your own blog: one in Spanish and the other is in english.

I will release the first version in the very near future. I have to fix some notable disturbing bugs before I can release the first version.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 24, 2008 at 2:16 PM
Hi Hugo, Agus project is very good (I´m looking his work).
If you need some quickly add a filter testing current culture info (from client browser) and manipulate post show using something like categories.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:24 PM
Thanks Suhanto i will download the source code and compare it to the original to try to see the differences. Can you explain a little what was your approach?

jtentor i were thinking of filtering through the categories, have 3 of them in english and 3 of them in spanish and depending of the category you will see a different language, but i have recently started working on ASP.NET and can't find the way to do it :(, can you give me a hint for your approach?

I have already tried to see how could i change the Master file, but i don't find a way to change it depending on the folder  /blog is in english, /blog/esp/ is in spanish... 

Thanks a lot for answering...

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:19 AM
Hugo, the approach is simple. But it changed BE.N codebase a lot. I could not make it as simple as BE extension, so I created my own code base called MultiLangBlogEngine (MLBE) then.

Basically I add language field in the content tables (Post, Page, Category, Tag, and Group - new concept in MLBE), therefore each record has a language identifier that can be used to serve blog content in a particular language. Then I enhance the UrlRewrite module to make it aware of language part in request path. For example the path http://mydomain.com/es/post/viva-hugo.aspx contains the language part: es. However, the request path does not have to include the language part. In that case, your website serves contents in your default choosen language.

Each language can has different theme that you can configure in the blog setting page.

I will publish some articles regarding this in my blog when MLBE is ready. I hope MLBE can fulfill your needs.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 25, 2008 at 4:20 AM
Wow, that is exactly what i need.
Thanks for the explanation... i will see if i can find a fast way of implementing it

Thanks a lot

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM
Hugo, no te preocupes demasiado. El proyecto de Agus te va a servir, el inconveniente es que solo funciona con SQL y vas a necesitar instalar todo en el hosting; de todos modos MLBE tiene todos los scripts que hacen falta. Probablemente tengas algunos inconvenientes si no tenes el Visual Studio Team Edition (como en mi caso tengo el developer edition, tuve que hacer algunos retoques en el proyecto para poder estudiarlo).
En mi blog, publico algunas cosas en castellano y otras en ingles, incluso algunas en ambos idiomas. La idea de Agus es como llevar varios blogs en un mismo hosting, diferenciando cada uno de ellos por el identificador de lenguaje. Sería importante contar con una especie de traductor (algo que realmente funcione) y traducir automáticamente los posts, por ahora no hay otra alternativa que escribir lo mismo en varios idiomas.