User integration with existing application

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jun 24, 2008 at 11:15 PM
Hi there - we are trying to integrate blogengine.net with our site, and we are coming up with some problems. Any help would be most appreciated.

Our site runs on ASP.NET and SQL Server 2005. We had already developed a user management module, whereby users can register, and manage their account through a control panel.
Now we would like to enable blog functionality in our page, and allow users to leave comments on our posts, and leverage social bookmarking functionality.

The problem we have is that our developers are telling us that they cannot integrate the user registration of our site, with BE's.

Could anyone help us with the following?

1. Is it possible to integrate BE with a different application?
2. Is there any documentation/posts where the key steps in such work are described?
3. How can we maintain user session, so that when the user logs into our site, they are also "secretly" logging into the forum?

Thanks in advance for your comments
Jun 26, 2008 at 1:33 AM
It is possible to use your own Users and Roles providers instead of the default one. The web.config contains the necessary settings to change these providers.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 26, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Thank you very much Agus - that's helpful.

In order to ensure compatibility, are there any specific requirements for the external provider?
Jun 26, 2008 at 8:56 PM
I had a similar question as well.  You can get a very detailed overview of using Membership and Roles from the official microsoft asp.net website at the following url:  http://www.asp.net/learn/security/default.aspx?wwwaspnetrdirset=1

Here you can learn to hook into the Login controls, the createuserwizardcontrols and to update the appropriate information.  In you case, when you create a user for your existing database schema, you'll also insert a record into the BE appropriate tables to setup the user as a contributor.

My application is setup for various membership levels.  I want to control which pages a user can access based on their logged in Role (i.e. Silver, Gold, Platinum) and also which links and features are available on various pages based on the Role status.

I found the above instructions very helpful in trying to get my head around integrating Roles and Memberships into other architectures.

Best Regards,

Chris