This project is read-only.

Binary Output with Vista SP1

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:09 PM
Today I installed BlogEngine.Net 1.3 on a Windows Vista SP1 system with IIS 7 as described in the install video:

  • Get the web project folder
  • Load the web project on your web server
  • Set folder as a .NET 2.0 application. Choose Classic .NET AppPool.
  • Add write permissions for App_Data folder
  • Navigate to the web page

The web page, however, shows binary output:

��`I�%&/m�{J�J��t��`$ؐ@�������iG#)�*��eVe]f@�흼��{����{����;�N'���?\fdl��J�ɞ!���?~|?"~��7N��O�<Y���<M���L_~����I���ݻ߽WR���7O����O�X���W�7U�L����YY��鋏Ҏ�M�ZT�������޸� ��yu�`��e�u������GG�5��nQ.��?pv>|(��F��ly��G�R^ͳY�������������|yww����e�|��y��GM{]��<�ۏ�y�����'euq��(���v�/����6[βzvw�4�����Xf��3~uL}���+���ߵw���A��n��6-�����*��� ��sOc�΀)�E~�ݶ4'P���R������UUϨ ��͗�g9t�/N�t_��ʹ.V����k��zߥ�yJ�M�QD�n�������k:o��h]\~�����X�w�6���t:��&o?[���Z峢]ׅ!E�Z��4�w�f��;Lz[���W��b�<��4+�U��SH�a�:�de��ˬ��=5AO

Only a reload renders the page correctly. Annoying that this symptom can occure on any page. Other applications e. g. DasBlog don't show this symptom.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM
I got the same problem with the same installation.

When I switch the application to the "classic" pool (from the default one) in IIS 7 I got this error. Before I rename the default "admin" username.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 361:    {
Line 362:      MembershipUser user = Membership.GetUser();
Line 363: txtName.Text = user.UserName;Line 364:      txtEmail.Text = user.Email;
Line 365:      txtWebsite.Text = Request.Url.Host;

Source File: xxxxxx\web\User controls\CommentView.ascx.cs    Line: 363
Jun 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM
ok I got it. The binary content is the error text :)

My error comes from that I don't sign again after changing the username so the user in session (admin) doesn't exist anymore ... Try to switch to the classic pool to see error message. Matthieu
Jun 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM
It seems that the configuration of the IIS is responsible for the symptom. I configured IIS according to Setting-up DotNetNuke on Windows Vista. After restauring the standard configuration BlogEngine.Net seems to work fine.