Upgrading to 1.4 with SQLMembershipProvider and SQLRoleProvider

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM
For those of you that upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 and are using SQLMembershipProvider and / or SQLRoleProvider, you should change the applicationName in the web.config to BlogEngine.NET. Only if you do that will your settings that you used in 1.3 also be used in 1.4.

Also don't forget to change the defaultProvider for each section.
Jul 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM
i'm using go daddy with MS SQL as database. Should i make these changes?
Jul 3, 2008 at 6:47 AM
By default the users and roles are stored in xml files, only if you changed this to the membership and roleproviders of asp.net do you need to make this change.

If you are not sure about this, you should take a look at your web.config and scroll to the membership and rolemanager section. If it says XmlMembershipProvider and XmlRoleProvider in the defaultprovider attribute of each section respectively you are using the default providers and I don't think you'll need to change something. If it says SqlMembershipProvider or SqlRoleProvider you'll need to make the change in the web.config as I described in my first post or change your applicationName in the database to match the new one.

It's easier to check than to explain :p, I've got a screenshot of the part of the web.config you need to look at on my blog here