Javascript errors after upgrading from 1.4.00 to 1.4.07

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jul 8, 2008 at 7:53 AM
After upgrading from 1.4.00 to 1.4.07 I get this error on home page and all posts (with FireFox 3 and FireBug):

WebForm_InitCallback is not defined
(?)()default.aspx (riga 429)
WebForm_InitCallback();// -->

and I get this error on contact.aspx

WebForm_AutoFocus is not defined
(?)()contact.aspx (riga 383)
WebForm_AutoFocus('ctl00_cphBody_txtName');// -->

on local installation everything seems to work properly, but on remote installation I can save record the comments !
The site address is www.cristianofino.net ...

Some suggestion ?

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:25 AM
I upgraded to version 1.4.08 and the problem seemed resolved and then come back. :-(

Now I resolved, I hope definitively, disabling the HTTP Compressor from the control panel ... but the thing is absolutely strange!
Jul 9, 2008 at 5:53 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2008 at 5:57 PM
Hi Wolwerine: I too am getting the JS error on WebForm_InitCallback();

I'm curious as to what would cause this...you mentioned that you disabled "http compressor" in the control panel...what control panel are you referring to? Are you on server 2008?

FWIW: I have static content compression enabled on my server, and dynamic disabled. I disabled static compression on the website running DNBE, and it made no difference.

I had upgraded directly from 1.4.0.0 to 1.4.0.8.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:34 PM


I'm curious as to what would cause this...you mentioned that you disabled "http compressor" in the control panel...what control panel are you referring to? Are you on server 2008?


I have disabled "http compression" in Control Panel - Settings of BlogEngine. Now i have upgraded to 1.4.0.9 and the problem seemed resolved ...
Jul 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2008 at 10:27 PM
OK, thanks...I too have upgraded to 1.4.0.9, and I just disabled compression under "advanced settings", and it made no difference. still getting JS errors and impossibly slow pageloads. Also still no tag cloud...I will try performing a fresh install in a new project and see what happens.

I also tried changing from SQL to XML and back and no difference.

I compared my original 1.4.0.0 web.config with the new web.config generated when I compiled the source...the only difference I see is my original web.config has:

    <authentication mode="Forms">
            <forms timeout="129600" name=".AUXBLOGENGINE" protection="All" slidingExpiration="true" loginUrl="~/login.aspx" cookieless="UseCookies" />
        </authentication>

while the 1.4.0.9 web.config has 'name=".BLOGENGINE" ' ...I don't suppose the name matters, but switching it back and forth made no difference either.
Jul 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Try to disable also under "advanced settings":

  • Trim stylesheets
  • Trim page whitespace 
  • Enable Opensearch

then restart the application after clearing the cache.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM
Thanks...I went back to the blog a couple of hours after turning off compression, and it was working again, so that setting must have been the problem, and I needed to allow the cache to clear for it to take effect.