update themes to use widgets

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM
I was wondering if there is any documentation on how the WidgetZone works.  I want to update my current theme to use widgets.  I see in the Standard theme there is a SidePanel.aspx.  Is this how we need to setup the zone now?
Jul 9, 2008 at 3:48 PM
From what I've been playing with, all you have to do is add <blog:WidgetZone runat="server" ID="rightzone" /> to your themes masterpage.  Then you need to modify the css to included the widget section in the Standard themes css.
Jul 15, 2008 at 3:34 AM
Which css do I modify?  The style.css in my theme folder or the style.css in the admin folder?  I'm confused as I can inspect my rendered page with Firebug and see that css is coming down in the style.axd file.  However, that is generated at runtime yet I can not find the source css that it is using.  It is neither in admin/style.css or themes/mytheme/style.css.  Thanks for any help.  Troy

kjsteuer wrote:
From what I've been playing with, all you have to do is add <blog:WidgetZone runat="server" ID="rightzone" /> to your themes masterpage.  Then you need to modify the css to included the widget section in the Standard themes css.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM
I modified the css in the themes folder.  I basically did some trial and error.  For my theme, I used the css settings from the sidebar and started replacing/adding settings to the Widget section on the standard theme template and put them in my css file.  Hope this helps.  Maybe someone will post a tutorial soon.
Jan 3, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Documentation for updating themes to be 1.4.x/Widget compatible would be great!

Anyone with useful pointers?
Jan 4, 2009 at 10:55 AM
This is the reason I asked about hard coded style elements over at http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=43332.
I pretty much take the same route as kjsteuer to add the widgets and then as tforster does by adding and modifying the styles from the Standard theme css file. I do keep the Widget style sheet theme in a seperate css file from the main one in my themes directory so I can screw it up all I want without affecting the other styles.