Web.config Trust Level - Godaddy - 3.5

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:48 AM
Edited Jul 15, 2008 at 5:50 AM
Hi guys,

I am building a new website, using .NET's 3.5 framework, which is hosted on GoDaddy.
I've created a sub folder named blog with all the files in it. I ran the setup file sucessfully and
created all the SQL tables. I've also set all the permissions on all the folders necessary, and
I am running the blog folder as an application. So far so good.

I remember when I set BlogEngine up under 2.0 a while ago, I simply removed the trust level from the web.config
file, but in 3.5 it doesn't exist anymore. And that is where the problem is I think. Is there a work around?

The error message I am getting is:
  Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

Source Error:

Line 375:    {
Line 376: BlogEngine.Core.DataStore.ExtensionSettings xs = new BlogEngine.Core.DataStore.ExtensionSettings(ext.Name);
Line 377: xs.SaveSettings(ext);
Line 378: }
Line 379: return true;

Source File: d:\hosting\ .... \Blog\App_Code\ExtensionManager\Manager.cs    Line: 377

Note the:
change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Is there anybody who can help me with this?

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM

I can't help you on your security issue but I did a similar install -- BE1.4 on godaddy in a /blog directory.  I first integrated it and got it to run on my site on my local machine (VS.NET 2K8 Web Express) -- had to fix a few path references to get it to work right.  But after copying it, I can't get it to compile when I hit the blog directory.  It complains about not being able to find ExtensionManager in the global.asax file.

Did you move global.asax up to the root level -- it's not clear to me how godaddy sets up subdirectories -- ie, are they virtual dirs or just folders and how does that affect applications and web.config files, etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this w/ godaddy.