This project is read-only.

every new post returns 404, resource not found

Topics: Controls
Jul 21, 2008 at 8:37 PM
Hi, developer here.

Hosting .NET Blogengine 1.4 on, Windows Server 2008, IIS 7

I set up in a  /blogengine/ directory and set this directory as a  Web Application in the control panel.

the ASP.NET user has write permissions on the AppData folder. 

However every post I create gives me a 404 error when trying to navigate to the post itself.

The xml files are being created in the AppData/posts/ directory, and therefore are being displayed on the main page in the listing of posts, but clicking on the post title to bring up the post page results in a 404.  Same with deleting the post, creating a page, viewing a page, even viewing the default first post.  I searched this message board and saw other similar issues but no good answers.  I can't imagine this hasn't been encountered before.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:51 AM
Edited Jul 29, 2008 at 3:30 PM
Has anyone got anywhere with this? I have been having this exact same problem but we are using a different host (Zen Internet - UK based). The hosting is on IIS6. Is this a trust issue? It seems to me that this is something to do with the URL Rewriting HTTP Module not working in this environment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@lennyx: Did you manage to resolve this issue?

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:07 AM
Just fixed this myself on IIS 6:

IIS was set to "verify that the file exists" for the .aspx extension.  To undo it, I had to
  1. open IIS manager
  2. Right-click the web site in question and select "properties"
  3. select the "home directory" tab
  4. click the "configuration" button
  5. select ".aspx" in the list of Application extenstions
  6. click the "Edit" button
  7. uncheck the "Verify that file exists" box and click "OK"

Hope this helps,

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM
And for those who can't make that change themselves, have your hosting provider set the 404 error page to the BlogEngine.Net error page.
Sep 10, 2008 at 5:02 AM
I got this to work finally from this link: 

should have looked for IIS7 issues first here.

Thanks to all who replied.