Has anyone succeeded in using DbProvider for everything?

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Hi there,

has anyone been able to accomplish the task to use the DbProvider for everything?

Especially I would like to store users, roles, ... within the database, but I am not able to figure out how the be_users and so on should be created.

Has anyone a => COMPLETE <= sql setup script?

Have a nice day,

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM
I've seen this asked for a bunch since 1.4 and I really don't get it.  Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use the SqlMembershipProvider and the SqlRoleProvider?  These come built into the .NET framework and are much more full featured than the dbMembershipProvider and dbRoleProvider.

At the bottom of this page is instructions to get the SqlMembership and SqlRoles working.  http://nyveldt.com/blog/post/Setting-up-BlogEngineNET-14-to-use-SQL-Server.aspx

If you are really set on using the dbMembership and dbRoles, I think someone has posted a script to these forums, but it is easy enough to add the 3 tables you need if you can't find it.
Jul 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM
For me, there are several reasons NOT to use SqlMembershipProvider:

1. It may be that the data format changes with the next .NET version and I need to change the database, although I do not want to update the blog software. It's just an external dependency I would like to avoid.
2. It is not possible to edit users and / or roles initially in an comfortable way remotely (!). Doing everything locally first is no option, since locally no SQL Server might be installed.
3. If BlogEngine offers to do everything ootb, why not use it?
Jul 29, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Run the scripts to create the tables from this post and change the default providers in the web.config.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:12 AM

Any chances that this will be integrated in the setup script that is delivered with BE.NET?
Jul 31, 2008 at 1:53 AM
We've decided to include the dbMembership and dbRole tables in the next release which is due out soon.  Hopefully, this will be less confusing going forward.  I still think it is better to use the SqlMembership and SqlRoles options, but BlogEngine is all about choice. :)
Jul 31, 2008 at 8:49 AM
This is great news :-)

Thanks a lot!