How do I change the RSS icon for a theme?

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:54 AM
Hi there,

basically, the subject says it all. Replacing the "main" RSS icon is no solution, since the icon should be theme dependent ... how would one accomplish this?

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:29 PM
rss icon is in pics/rssButton.gif  , change it  there or just find it where your theme site.master adds rss icon.. Create new icon then put in your theme folder , then change it's src to your rss icon.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:53 PM

first of all - thanks for your answer. As said, replacing the icon within the pics folder is no option, since this would be a global change for all themes.

What exactly do you mean by find where the site.master adds it? As far as I can see, the master page does not have an effect on the RSS icon of the blog roll, e.g., or does it?

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:50 PM
The Standard theme has the rss icon on the horizontal menu, that is probably what _alpcoker_ was referring to. But the real problem is that controls, for example: the categorylist control, render an img[src=relativewebroot/pics/rssbutton.gif] which is un-themeable.
You could put something like this in style.css:
img.rssButton {
But that is a hack, and the client still loads the default "rssButton.gif" even though it is not displayed. I guess you could replace rssButton.gif with a single transparent pixel gif.
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:23 AM
Hi Joe,

thanks for your answer. That was exactly what I wanted to know :-)

So as it's obviously not possible at the moment to replace the icon (only by replacing it for EVERY theme) I am going to do that probably ...