BlogEngine.NET comparison to WordPress

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM
I have been using the awesome Wordpress tool for a few years, but now I need to do some work in a .NET environment. I have heard more good things about BlogEngine.NET than the other .NET blogs and I am thinking about using it.

Do any current users of BlogEngine have experience with WordPress? I am mainly wondering how BlogEngine compares to WordPress. BlogEngine seems to have a lot of the key features that Wordpress has, which i am really impressed by.
http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/page/Feature-table.aspx.

How hard is is to give BlogEngine any look you want? I found this extremely easy to do in WordPress.

I don't expect it to have everything WordPress has - WordPress has been around a lot longer. If it is even close though, that would be fantastic.
Aug 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Hi,  I am an Asp.Net programmer and I am still using WordPress for my blog, so I can definely help with this.   I will posting a full side by side comparison of WordPress vs BlogEngine.Net on my blog (http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com). I have a draft saved, but I just want to verify that my findings are factually correct before I post.  To be honest the main reason I haven't converted to BlogEngine.Net is I want to maintain the URL structure that exists on my WordPress blog, and customizing the slugs isn't currently possible with out writing some Asp.Net Code.

As far as giving it the look you want, themes are basically CSS and HTML based so if your comfortable with those, customizing the Look and Feel should be a peice of cake.  As far as the features, I think that the both platforms are neck and neck out of the box, with the exception of the customization of slugs and the lack of a "dashboard".

What really seperates the two apart are the plugins/extensions/themes that are available in each platforms community.  WordPress has been around for a while so the plugins and themes that are available are numerous.  There are plugins/extensions  and themes available in BE.Net.  I believe ( and I could be wrong), there are only less than a hundred of each.  However, as far as themes are concnerned, you could easily take any word press template( or any html template for that matter) and turn it into a BlogEngine.Net theme with only basic knowledge of HTML and CSS

I will update this discussion with a link to my comparison when I post it.
Aug 7, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Thanks, this is a great reply and exactly what I was looking to hear. It is also great that you are doing a VB.net version, as there are several blogging options for C#, but almost nothing for VB.NET. I will add more to this post once I begin to use BlogEngine.net, which will be very soon.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:46 PM
My designer is missing the ability to create themes/styles/templates per category, as she is able to do with WordPress - most likely because she knows some PHP.

The same issue is discussed in this article...
http://www.gravitycube.net/blog/post/New-BlogEngine-Theme---ThemeEngineNFL.aspx

How easy/difficult would this be to achieve in BE.net?

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM
Yes, that is due to your designers knowledge of PHP.  Asp.net has built in theming capabilities where PHP requires a lot of manual coding. It should not be that difficult, simply do a search on asp.net themes
Aug 10, 2008 at 7:15 AM
OK, I probably am going to get blasted from both the WordPress and BlogEngine.Net community, but I have decided to publish my posts on BlogEngine.Net Vs WordPress