BlogEngine.Net integration with existing application

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM
Hi, as my email indicates,  I'm new to setting up a blog.  I would like to integrate BE with an existing application, and run it in a subdirectory.   

I plan to convert my custom login authentication tables over to the aspnet membership provider so I installed the membership / roles tables into my DB and created Administrators and Editors roles and then created two users, one of them in Administrators Role.    Thanks Al Nyveldt for your awesome tutorials!! 

I modified the web.config in my subdirectory to use DbMembershipProvider and DbRoleProvider instead of XML..but when I attempt to login using the newly created users, I get 'Your login attempt was not sucessful...'   I can see the users I created in the .net membership tables,  but BE won't allow me to login with anything other than the admin/admin user,  seems like it just isn't using aspnet membership? 

Can someone help me understand all the steps necessary to integrate BE into an existing application?  I want to authenticate users once and not have them login to the blog. 

Any help is greatly appreciated,  I have been using .net for about six months now and am trying to come up to speed.
Aug 7, 2008 at 10:01 PM
There is of two reasons I have seen this. One running .net apps on localhost in iis 5.1 (winxp), I could not login.  However, uploading to a 2003 server made the issue disappear.  Copy the same back to the IIS on LocalHost and could't login (note;  I was using SQL Express so it wasn't becuase of different DB's).

The other time I saw this is when I was inconsitent in using the Member Ship / Role Providers in my App.  I think, my registration forms provider didn't match what was defined in the web.config... or was it the login.. I forget exactlt but i fixed that issue by make sure the same membersip and role provider was used throughtout the application.
Aug 7, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Thanks so much for replying...

I AM using localhost on winxp IIS 5.1..   I will copy the app up to a dev server and see if the issue disappears.  

vicky
Aug 7, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Well I copied the app up to 2003 server and get the same result.  It logs me in fine as the xml user but isn't using the membership provider at all, just the same error message.   Can you elaborate on your problem with inconsistent use of the membership provider in your web.config or login? 

I have my own form that logs users in on the home page and it gets authenticated against custom tables right now...I will move these users into the membership tables eventually..

Any other help on integration would be welcomed as I've searched all over for a good explanation of how to 'fold' BE into an existing site but haven't found many resources...