www subdomain policy

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 PM
Does anyone know exactly what this setting does?

I can probably dig through the code and find out, but I'm hoping someone just knows what it does.
Jan 5, 2009 at 4:05 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM
I had the same question, and am now digging into the version 1.4.5 code.  Here is what I found
  1. The checkbox sets a value in BlogSettings.Instance.HandleWwwSubdomain
  2. The comments for this property state: How to handle the www subdomain of the url (for SEO purposes)
  3. Use in BlogEngine.Core\Web\HttpModules\WwwSubDomainModule.cs
  4. If set to Remove, then will convert a URL of www.foobar.com to foobar.com and do a redirection
  5. If set to Enforce, then will convert a url of foobar.com to www.foobar.com
  6. This is useful if you want all hits to your site to have a consistent URL, because you are trying to impress
    a search engine with how useful you are.
  7. I set this up on my blog Silverlight Cookbook for exactly that reason.  Initial testing of the
    Enforce setting suggests that it works correctly
Jan 5, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Thanks, Chris!

I was actually going to write something on my own to accomplish this, but this works fine so far.
Aug 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I had this working on www.vanadiuminteractive.com, then i added an .htaccess file (running on ISAPI_Rewrite 3.0 by heliconTech) and the functionality went heywire.  I then removed the .htaccess completely but the subdomain enforcement in not working fully.  Typing in .vanadiuminteractive.com stays on .vanadiuminteractive.com, but .vanadiuminteractive.com/page redirects to www.vanadiuminteractive.com/page.

any suggestions on what i should try to resolve this?