possessive quote in title breaks link?

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Hi: I set up BE 2.5 for my wife's blog, and she used Word to compose her first post, then copied and pasted the title and body into Windows Live Writer to publish the post. When she composed the title in Word she used "It's a wash", and Word converted the single quote into a possessive quote.

She was able to successfully post to the blog, and the post appeared on default.aspx, but if you click on the title link the server returns a page-not-found error. Looking at the link, it appears as:

http://www.[website].com/post/2012/02/15/It%E2%80%99s-a-Wash.aspx

However, this link does not resolve. I found that if I do the same thing in BE.net directly (e.g. go to "/admin/Posts/Add_entry.aspx" and paste in the line "It’s a wash"), the string is accepted and saved in the dB, but the page can't be resolved.

If I use a regular single-quote (e.g. single-tick), BE doesn't have a problem.

Is BE filtering extended characters in titles, or should it? Not sure if this is a bug or just a problem with conversion?

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Just bumping this post because I ran into the problem again...shouldn't BE be replacing the extended character with a single-tick chr(39)?

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Why doesn't she just post the blog from Word? Word has blog posting capibility since Word 2007 I think. It would save her some time (no copying and pasting) it would take Windows Live Writer out the equation because it could be Windows Live Writer making the change. When I created a new post from within BE called "It's All Over Now" the source code looked like

"It's All Over Now" 

for the H1 tag and the link worked fine because the quotation marks and the apostrophe were stripped out in the link making the link look like

Its-All-Over-Now

I haven't tried it in Windows Live Writer to confirm but you could try it there and see if it still happens. I just posted from Word and it works as written/expected.