Saving the comment... Works For Firefox But Not Internet Explorer

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:30 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM
When I attempt to save a comment with Firefox 2.0 it saves but not with Internet Explorer 7.0.  With IE when I click the Save Comment button I get a spinning image and the message Saving the comment....  Nothing else happens.  If I close the browser, open a new one, and view that post the comment is not there but comments saved via Firefox are.

When debugging in IE it makes it to WebForm_DoCallback in WebResource.axd which is called from the java script function AddComment in blog.js.  It gets through xmlRequest = new XMLHttpRequest(); and WebForm_FillFirstAvailableSlot and xmlRequest.send(postData); but the response is empty. 

I am using MS SQL Server for the back end.  This occurs with BE.N 1.4 and 1.4.5.  This occurs with an install on a local pc as well as a web server install.  Also I have tried saving a comment from different PC's.
Aug 13, 2008 at 3:42 AM
I had the same problem in previous releases...and I finally remembered what the source of the issue was.  The stored CAPTCHA didn't match the sent Captcha in IE.  I have no idea why...and didn't have time to dig into it.  The code would return (without error), and not save the comment.

In the CommentView.ascx.cs

I commented out the following lines -

string storedCaptcha = hfCaptcha.Value;

if (sentCaptcha != storedCaptcha)
   return;

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:19 PM
John,

Thanks for responding but I figured out it was something else.  I had three forms that were not runat=server inside a form runat=server in my site.master file.  When I removed these the comment was saved.
Aug 13, 2008 at 8:33 PM
Hi sigler,

I was having the same problem, but didn't catch what you noticed. Can you please elaborate more on what the form ID's where and what you did exactly to remedy the problem? Thanks.
Aug 15, 2008 at 4:15 PM
Tonster321,

I had 3 forms that were not runat=server.  I removed them and then comments could be saved.  I was using these forms to post data from the current page to another page.  I have not figured out the alternative yet.  You can only have one form runat server so I think I will just remove the forms that are not runat=server and use buttons with runat=server to accomplish what I was trying to do with the forms without runat=server.  One thing I was trying to do was have a button that would insert an email a user would enter into a text box into a table for the purposes of email subscription.