Cant post comments on ISP host server

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 15, 2008 at 10:38 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM
I am trying to share a single database instance between two or more BlogEngine instances (for convenience). In this scenario, I cannot post comments when accessing my ISP deployment of BlogEngine.NET 1.4.5, with SQL Server 2005, with either IE or FireFox. I have installed the exact same instance on a development machine, which is pointing to the same SQL Server 2005 instance on my ISP and I CAN post comments from the development machine...but the ISP instance does not see them. Also, the other functions that write to SQL Server 2005 (e.g. Add Entry, Settings, etc.) work fine from my ISP and development maching instances, but one cannot see the changes made by the other. I can see the data in the database.

Can I not share a single database instance between two or more BlogEngine instances? When I do this, there seems to be some sort of caching behavior preventing the ISP instance and development instance from beingin sync with each other.  And the fact I cannot post a comment at all from the ISP instance seems strange.

Thanks in advance. -Mike

Update: 08-17-08: I figured this out: by re-setting the membership provider and role providers back to XML-source in the web.config, I am no able to post comments to the db. I assume that my ISP and Database hosting is not supporting the SQLMembership or SQLRole providers, or I just don;t understand how to set them up properly (yet). This would be usefule to know if anyone has any tips or pointers. -Thanks, Mike. (web.config settings below)

membership defaultProvider="XmlMembershipProvider">,  <roleManager defaultProvider="XmlRoleProvider"