Comments problem with 1.4.5

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Dear developers:

I am having a problem with SQLite provider:

I have noticed that when a user inserts a comment in a post, the post is stored an displayed properly, but when a restart the server or IIS service, the post is still displayed, but comments disappear!!!
I am using Sqliteman to browse the database, and comments are correctly stored in "be_postcomment" table, but can't be viewed in the blog after a restart!!!

How can i solve it?.

BlogEngine 1.4.5
Indigo Theme
Windows 2000 Server
SQlite 1.0.54

p.d.: Greetings for your excelent job, from Spain!!!
Aug 22, 2008 at 6:00 PM
I was having the same issue with tags and categories (I didn't actually test comments. But the cause is probably the same). While looking at the table using Sqliteman, it seemed that the GUID post IDs and category IDs were being saved as BLOBs and as some random binary data.

So anywhere that I found the string Id.ToString() in DbBlogProvider.cs, I preceded that statement with (e.g.) dpID.DbType = DbType.String;
And that seems to have done the trick.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug in BE.NET, the Sqlite provider or SQLite itself. Maybe it's just too ambitious to expect SQLite to understand GUID types directly, and we should tell it specifically this is only a string.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM
I, haven't found DbBlogProvider.cs, to try your suggestion. But with SQLiteSpy i can see PostCommentID, and PostId as raw data, and with SQLite Administrator, i tried to convert to other types but without success!!!

I found this code in PostList.ascx.cs
            PostViewBase postView = (PostViewBase)LoadControl(path);
            postView.ShowExcerpt = BlogSettings.Instance.ShowDescriptionInPostList;
            postView.Post = post;
            postView.ID = post.Id.ToString().Replace("-", string.Empty);
            postView.Location = ServingLocation.PostList;
could it be the cause of BE 1.4.5. comments error?
Any other help?

Thanks from Spain, Gentlemen!!!

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:35 AM
DbBlogProvider.cs is inside BlogEngine.Core project. Look inside the Providers folder of the project. You need the full source code of the BlogEngine.NET for this. Getting the website source is not enough.
Aug 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM
I believe I have the SQLite bug solved in the latest source code.  I have not had time to do a lot of testing on it though and therefore have not made a patch available on the release page.  Get the latest source code, compile, and give it a try, if you can.

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:25 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2008 at 7:30 PM
Ok, Fantastic, i'll manage to try it as soon as possible!!!

Thanks, Gentleman!!!

p.d.: Do you mean versión ""?
Aug 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Dear RazorAnt:

I have a long experience with computer troubleshooting, in fact i work as a computer assistant, and in fact developed small tools in c# needed for my job, but i am new with .NET and BlogEngine, sorry.
I have a few questions about source code:

1. In the source code forum, i see different releases of BlogEngine.NET source code but i am interested on SQLite bug fixes. Do i have to download the latest source code or your bugfix?. What i mean is if the latest one contains all previous fixes or just specific fixes!!!.
  2. I have downloaded and installed MS Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition, but when i try to compile 16064(and later) source code i get different errors and warnings, some about loading the enviromment and some warnings related to de source code itself so i decided not to deploy the result until i understand it. My question is: Is there any tutorial/screncast about compiling the source code, like those in

Thanks from spain!!!

BlogEngine 1.4.5
Indigo Theme
Windows 2000 Server
SQlite 3.6.1

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:42 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM
Dear developers:

After testing latest fixes for SQLite provider, in a testing environment (downloaded from Source Code tab), finally, i have deployed my web using XML because comments still disappear. It's pitty, SQLite seemed promising!

I'll test SQLite provider in a later release.

Thanks, gentlemen.

p.d.: Anyway, BlogEngine.NET rules!!! 

BlogEngine 1.4.5
Indigo Theme
Windows 2000 Server
Sep 2, 2008 at 2:32 AM

My website runs on SQLite. Did you try the fix I described? I applied because I was having the same issue. There was no fix in the latest source code that addressed the issue.
Sep 2, 2008 at 6:19 AM
Dear sameera:

No, i didn't try your fix, i thought it was included in the latest Source Code. Do you think i should have tried it?.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:41 AM
I think you should. At least on a local server.