This project is read-only.

Configuration problems on Vista

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 22, 2008 at 3:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm having problems with running BlogEngine.NET in IIS7 on Vista. I copied the source files to \inetpub\wwwroot\BlogEngine and opened the solution in VS 2008. When I build it I get an error "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

This is weird since the page will be hosted in Cassini anyway... Well, it can't hurt to set up an application in IIS, so I tried setting up \inetpub\wwwroot\BlogEngine\ and \inetpub\wwwroot\BlogEngine\BlogEngine.Web\ as applications, but none of these setups makes any change. I set Application Pool to Classic. I also tried copying files to c:\BlogEngine, but the problem remains.

Did anyone set up source files on Vista successfuly? How did you do it?

Thank you :)

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Hi guys,

do you have any ideas what I could try?



Aug 25, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Lets start by eliminating the obvious issues. First up, did you go to IIS management snap in and convert your virtual folder in to an Application?
Aug 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Sameera, yes I did. Thank you for your willingness to help.

Actually I forgot to say that I connected BlogEngine.NET to SQL Server Express prior to running it for the first time. I must have messed something up while doing that, because when I removed it and copied a fresh version (without changing the configuration at all) it worked. I didn't try to configure it to work with SQL Server this time, so I don't know if this was really the root of the issue or not.


Aug 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Start from the top of your BE.NET web folder and search for web.config files. There should only be 2 of them. One at the root, and one more inside /admin/ folder. Most likely, while you were trying things out, you renamed one of the *.config files inside the Setup folder to web.config.
A web.config file placed under a subfolder of  a we app, can have only a small subset of the XML tags allowed in the root web.config. This is why you are getting this error.

Hope this would help.
Aug 26, 2008 at 4:12 PM

yes, I renamed the config file in Setup folder to web.config, copied it over to the root folder, and then forgot about it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)