Random post or latest posts on side panel

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 22, 2008 at 9:13 PM
How do I show the latest post titles or random posts titles on the side panel?
Aug 24, 2008 at 6:26 PM
If you're using version 1.4 or later and the standard theme you can add the RecentPosts widget to the side panel. If you're using an older version and/or a custom theme add the RecentPosts control to your theme's master page.

Best regards
Rickard Nilsson
Aug 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM
I am not seeing the RecentPosts widget anywhere.
Aug 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM
It's part of the official release from version 1.4 and forward. Maybe you've got a bad install. Try downloading the release again.
Aug 26, 2008 at 12:50 AM
I'm using the latest version and I do see RecentPosts control and the file associated with it in ftp and see it in Admin but it's not what I want. I want the recent post of my post titles shown in a listing on the right panel. The one that you are telling me is RecentPost for the frontpage, which I can set to see how many post can show up. I'm sure there is a programmer who can modify the RecentPost codes to work as an extension or something for the right panel.
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:22 AM
There definitely is already what you are looking for; it is, like rickardnilsson said, the RecentPosts widget. Which should be located in ~/Widgets/RecentPosts/widget.ascx. Widgets are only supported on certain themes in BE.Net so you may be using an incompatible theme. RecentPosts is not for the front page, the front page uses the PostList control. If you are using an incompatible theme you can still use the RecentPosts control, which is located in ~/App_Code/Controls/RecentPosts.cs. Just add <blog:RecentPosts ... > to your master/page.
Aug 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2008 at 8:16 PM
Thanks all, I now understand.
I used this code and put it in my Theme's sidepanel.ascx

<blog:RecentPosts ID="RecentPosts" runat="server" />

Works just as you both said.

Note: The standard theme does not show Recent Posts, missing the code.
Oct 16, 2008 at 3:57 AM
I wish to show the latest entry on the front page that I have added. Is there any way?