URL Format Questions

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Aug 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM
I can't figure out why pages and posts generate url's like this:

instead of

Any thoghts where i can check?
Aug 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM
Well, first of all, you have installed BlogEngine in the robarspages sub folder on your site so everything in the blog will be located at www.robarspages.ca/robarspages/ or down the folder structure.

Secondly, pages are mapped into the virtual page folder just to avoid conflicts with real pages in the root like login.aspx, archive.aspx, etc. You can change this in the BlogEngine.Core assembly by tweeking the UrlRewrite class and a bunch of other places, I amagine.

Thirdly, the reason the blog dont show up is that you have some old asp page in the root, but that may be intentionally.

Best regards
Rickard Nilsson
Aug 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM
thanks for the response...

yes, i've renamed the default.aspx for now until i get this issue figured out.

I don't know about the issue because - in my godaddy hosting account, i have the robarspages.ca domain pointed to a folder "robarspages" which is supposed to be that domain's root.

Also, as mentioned, the urls aer built with the "robarspages" sub folder:

BUT - also work when i delete that subfolder from out of the url....
Aug 25, 2008 at 9:27 PM
okay i've found the issue to actually be the way my shared hosting is set up. (aliased domains) where each site has an alias to a folder. I have robarspages.ca aliased to "robarspages" folder - and the blogengine.net install has references to "root"

I'd love to know if there is a way to change a piece of the code to not use a virtual reference, but rather a static reference....anyone know if this is possible, and if so, where to make the adjustment?
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:52 AM
I have Godaddy's host too, and was having such problem when using sub domain, but it's fine with top level domain, your situation is a little different from mine.
I have already done a tweaked version of BE for sub domain for Godaddy's host, but I don't know whether it works for your situation, maybe you'd like to have a try:
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:48 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2008 at 8:53 PM
Hi, I tried your tweak, but it's giving me an error:

Parser Error Message: Could not find file 'd:\hosting\blog\App_Data\users.xml'.

why is this?