Is it worthwhile uploading patches?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 25, 2008 at 2:13 AM
Hi guys,

I have started looking at BE as a replacement for my CS setup. So far I am very impressed with what I have seen. Coming across from CS means that I want to extend BE to support some of the existing functionality that I want to continue with.

The first thing to look at is the UrlRewrite HttpModule so that I can support the external links coming into the site that are formatted with CS urls. For example, using archive instead of post and pages instead of page. I have easily created a handler that takes care of BE url formats and CS ones, but to do so, I have had to copy the entire UrlRewrite class into my own implementation as there is no inheritance available.

I would like to patch this file to open it up to be extended by anyone who want to build upon the BE url formatting. After looking at the patches provided for the project, it seems that they are up to almost a year old. Is there any point me uploading my patch? Would I have more success in making changes by applying to be a contributor on the project?

Cheers
Aug 25, 2008 at 4:02 AM
Rory,

I'm excited about you contributing to BE.NET!  I'm also looking forward to Mads, Al or someone else on the development team following up with you on this.

Regards,
Dave