importing old xml posts to 2.5

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Hi All,

I am upgrading a client's blogengine from 1.6 (I believe) to 2.5.  I have updated the framework to 4.0 and things seem to go swimmingly until I get to adding the old posts and I get a nasty error:

Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 57, position 2.

The application runs with only one old post (xml file) copied to posts directory, but the post isn't displayed.  If more than one old post is copied over the error returns. 

Thanks!

-Lucas

Coordinator
Feb 29, 2012 at 7:47 PM

If you have "export" function in that older version, you can export your posts to BlogML and then import them into new blog.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Thanks rtur,  It doesn't look like I have that export function.  Do you know what is causing that error?  Have you seen it before? 

-Lucas

Coordinator
Feb 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I haven't seen it, but it looks like angel brackets not escaped with HTML encoding, so you need to replace "<" with "&lt;" and ">" with "&gt;". Try if for one post and see if it helps.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Thanks rtur,

I must wipe some egg off my face.  I did have an export function on the 1.6 blog and after exporting the old stuff and importing it back into the 2.5 local install, everything worked great.  

Thanks again,

-Lucas