2.5 to 2.6 upgrade

Topics: Themes
May 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Edited May 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Nice job on version 2.6. 

I thought I would post my experience w/ the update (and some questions), as it might help someone else.

I was following the upgrade instructions outlined in the post at http://blogengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Upgrading%20to%20BlogEngine.NET%202.6

In step 7, it talks about copying "other" files.  For whatever reason, I forgot that I had installed a custom widget, and this point didn't really help me remember that.  So, if you have custom widgets or you got something from the BlogEngine gallery, you will need to move the appropriate files to your new installation.

For a reason that I cannot remember anymore, I was using the AbsoluteLink to link to Disqus Comments. I think I was following a recommendation from another blog (http://surinder.computing-studio.com/post/2011/07/27/BlogEngine-Disqus-Comment-Count-Fix.aspx). In any case, my Disqus comments were broken, and I had to replace the 'Post.PermaLink" with "Post.AbsoluteLink" in '<theme>/PostView.ascx', 'post.aspx', and 'archive.aspx.cs'. I realize that this is kind of a custom implementation, but other people may have been following the same instructions.

I noticed that my Google Page Speed score dropped from 88 to 81 w/ this version. I was using the js.axd handler in version 2.5 to minify my JS, but that now appears to be removed (or maybe the syntax changed... for whatever reason, its not working like it was in 2.5).  Fixing it so that the javascript loads correctly by pointing to the right file actually dropped my score to 79, as the JS was not minified.  Does BE have any built in JS minification with version 2.6? ( I do realize that there's improvements that can be made to some of my own files, but with the identical files using 2.5, I was getting a better Page Speed score ).

Finally, I see that BE is still using the App_Data folder to store data. I thought I read somewhere that it will be possible to keep all the settings in the DB in the next BE version, but I guess that didn't make it for this build? Or was I just imagining things and there's no plans on moving all of the application data to the DB, if available?

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM

There is updater utility that you can use so you don't have to remember where your custom files are.

If you delete all from app_data and use DB provider you should be good. Do not delete folder itself though - it can be used to install/uninstall packages and some 3rd party extensions may not implement DB provider and just drop file there. But for all built-in stuff as far as I know only packaging and logging need app_data to exist when DB provider used.

For minification we use system.web.optimization - you can use it to minify your custom stuff too. All dropped to /Scripts or /Styles bungled together and minified by default.

May 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Thx for the suggestions.  I switched over to using the DB provider for files, so everything seems to be going through the DB now... except for logging :)

One thing I had to do was go into the web config and remove the XML Role Provider manually. I think something in the initialization of that provider expects the roles XML file in the App_Data directory, and since I had deleted that file, the site would error out.  Removing the provider from the web.config fixed the error (its strange that it would initialize it though... I was using the db provider).

The new minification stuff is fantastic!