Signing in, avatars, and who can post comments?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I'm sorry about all these questions, but the documentation is sparse, I've never used a blog before so some concepts are new to me, and I'm trying to get this set up as soon as I can. 

I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of signing in is, except for the administrator and authors, of course.  My blog will only have one author to start, me.  If I invite another author, she will also have to sign in.  But what about comments?  It seems visitors can post comments without having to sign in.  Is this typical for a blog?  Is there any benefit to the user to sign in before posting comments?  If the sign in is for admin and authors only, should it be in a less conspicuous place?

What are co-comments?

I have a choice of three avatar groups, and none.  Are the avatars assigned randomly?  Can a user choose his/her own avatar?  Can a user supply an avatar of his/her own, if they sign in?

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM

That's a hell a lot of a questions :) I guess this is a fair punishment for our lazy documentation habits though. For starters, avatar is a service that lets you set a picture that will be associated with your email. Then whenever you log into system that implements avatar API, like most of the blogs do, this picture will show up next to your comment once you type in your email. If you don't have avatar set up, it will be substituted with picture generated by one of the 3 services you see in the admin. The generation is random but then it saved and becomes your avatar until you setup real one.

May 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Thank you.  I'll take a look at the link you sent, it seems clear enough at first glance.

What are coComments?

I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of signing in is, except for the administrator and authors, of course.  My blog will only have one author to start, me.  If I invite another author, she will also have to sign in.  But what about comments?  It seems visitors can post comments without having to sign in.  Is this typical for a blog?  Is there any benefit to the user to sign in before posting comments?  If the sign in is for admin and authors only, should it be in a less conspicuous place?