How to add another blog?

Topics: Controls
May 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I want to add another blog which should open from either:

Please let me know how to add another blog.

May 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM

On the Blogs tab in the control panel, there's a link to add a new blog.

The Storage Container Name can be "life".

For the URL "", leave Virtual Path at ~/ and enter into the Host Name field.

For the URL "", set Virtual Path to ~/Life and leave the Host Name field empty.

For "Existing Blog To Create New Blog From", you can choose Template if that's available.  If not, you could choose Primary or whatever entry you see in there.  That determines the initial data for the new blog instance.

Some additional details. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:53 AM

I created a sub-domain:

I copied entire BlogEngine source again into the root of this sub-domain.

So my domain is keeping two copies of BlogEngine, one for the main Domain and the other for the sub-Domain.

How BlogEngine manages two blogs when the method you described is used?

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

With the Blogs feature, you only need one installation of BlogEngine (BE), not 2 installations.  And it should be a single website/application in IIS.

In your case, you do need to make sure that both and point to the same IIS site.  And make sure this single website in IIS accepts requests for both hostnames ( and

At runtime, when a request comes into the server, BE will look at the hostname and based on that, determine which blog instance is being requested.  It then uses the blog posts, and blog settings, etc for that blog instance.  It's all managed under a single installation of BE.

There's many advantages of having a single installation of BE manage this.  For example, it'll be easier to upgrade to newer versions of BE since you only need to upgrade a single installation.