Categories vs. Tags

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Oct 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2008 at 6:20 PM
I am trying to upgrade between a blog engine that I wrote to BlogEngine.NET.  After getting my own blog into the BlogML 2.0 format, I couldn't get the BlogML importer to work with cassini.  So now, I am just extending the BlogMLExportHandler to handle importing as well.  All is going great with adding internal support for importing, but I am now working on attachments, which led me to look at the export functionality, of which there is none for attachments.  I started looking closer at the export and ran across the code to export the tags and categories which leads me to my question:

Why is there a distinction between categories and tags in BlogEngine.NET?  Aren't these theoretically the same? 

Anyway, I will see if I can improve the export functionality while I'm at it, extending the xml with some namespace extension to include all the other properties that BlogEngine.NET supports.  This may impove the ability to export/import from the different datastores too, since you will be able to export to BlogML and then import using a different provider.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:33 AM
mmcdanie wrote: Why is there a distinction between categories and tags in BlogEngine.NET?  Aren't these theoretically the same? 

Posting this to help future searchers...reasonable explanation provided here