PubDate & LastModified

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Oct 9, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I have successfully installed dotnetblogengine and I've started to copy my blogs from the old blog site to dotnetblogengine.  I noticed that the blog date was, obvisouly, today's date, but I wanted the publication date to still be the date that I originally posted the blog.  I looked at the XML files and noticed the <pubDate> and  <lastModified> tags.  I altered these and uploaded the XML files to my site.  Unfortunately the altered dates weren't reflected on dotnetblogengine.  After many frustrating hours, I noticed that dotnetblogengine was suddenly displaying the original blog dates.  In addition to this, I altered the font size in the XML file too, but again, that wasn't reflected in the blog for at least one hour.

So my question is, what causes dotnetblogengine to look at the XML file, at least one hour later?  I tried closing the browser and loading the blog again, but no luck.  I tried the Ctrl+F5 command, too.  I even tried clearing our the browser history etc, but still no luck.

Thanks very much.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:08 PM
I'm fairly sure that changes to files in the App_Data directory don't cause the application to be recycled. The easiest way to achieve this for hosted sites is to upload the same web.config. IIS watches web.config and files in App_Code. When it detects changes, it unloads the application. When a new request for the site comes it, it will spin up the application again. This is important for BE data because the data is stored in memory after being loaded from disk. Any changes made to the data files directly won't be found in memory unless the application is reset.