Web site is dead

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM
Hello,

Our web site is dead www.kunachamber.com.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated!  I suspect a server problem, but have no way to verify this. 

The error message from IE is
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address. 

What I know
1) The site is hosted at www.mosso.com.  We ae running verson 1.4 of Blogengine.net
2) My other asp.net sites are working fine, however these are not blogengine.net sites...
3) The site was working a few days ago, now it is suddenly dead.
4) The development site on my pc works.
5) The site has 12 posts and six pages.
6) The only recent activity was to add two posts and add links to one of the pages.  Using TinyMCE.
7) No code changes have been made in months.  These were limited to our theme pages, a change to the code that calls TinyMCE (to add a few items to its toolbar), and a change to web.config to add the line "<identity impersonate="true" userName=....".  This grants write access to the blog software.

I have tried the following in the last few hours.
1) Added a "Hello" page www.kunachamber.com/test.aspx.  This works.
2) Re-published every blogengine.net file from my pc up to the server.  Just to be sure, I published an old set of pages and posts.
3)This made no difference, but provided a new new error that might be a helpful to a blogengine expert.
3) In the web.config from my pc the line "<identity impersonate="true" userName=" was commented out.
5) The new error was that access to \App_Data\datastore\extensions\ResolveLinks.xml was denied.
6) This is the clue, at least the system made it this far.
7) Next I put the "<identity impersonate="true" userName=" back into web.config
8) Blogengine fails as before.  It times out.

Second test
1) I renamed the simple hello page to "default.aspx".
2) This made no difference, the web site times out.

Thanks
Bill Clark


Nov 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Have you cycled the worker processes and such?
Nov 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM
As the third test, I changed the theme to "Clarity".  No effect.  The site times out....
Nov 6, 2008 at 11:55 PM
The site is on a web farm, with other users, so the hosting company cannot reboot the servers.
However, I have deleted and replaced global.aspx and web.config.  In my experience, this usually resets things.
But it still times out.

During the short time that the global.aspx and web.config were deleted, I was able to run a test page called "default.aspx".
All files have since been replaced, and the problem is back.
Nov 7, 2008 at 2:46 AM
It is working.  I deleted all files and folders.  I installed version 1.4.5.  Not sure what the problem was, but this was the fix.