Problems with metaweblog api

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Sep 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I have tried three iPad apps to try to post to BlogEngine.

MacJournal - posts work but I lose line breaks

Blogsy - It can read from metaweblog api but I can't post.  It just spins in "Publishing".

BlogPress - It can read from metaweblog zpi but I can't post.  It claims a network error.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Is "1" the right thing to use for Blog ID?

Ted

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM

When entering the address of your blog make sure you enter metaweblog.axd at the end like this:

http://www.demoblogengineblogsite.com/metaweblog.axd

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback but I have already found a fix for this issue and posted it in "Issues Tracker".

Ted

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I found another issue with the MetaWebLog api and the Blogsy app where blog entries were being shown with (null) in the body instead of the blog text. . After talking to the Blogsy developers, we identified a missing tag in the XML returned from the MetaWebLogAPI response.

I have submitted a pull request with a fix for this. 

/Jesper

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Jesper,

I ran into a problem uploading images to BlogEngine with Blogsy.  I was wondering whether you had tried that?

He is the response I got back from Lance:

"Thank you for sending error codes. These error codes are being sent back by your blog. The error is saying  <value>The given path's format is not supported.</value>. I have never seen this error message before. And the error codes is saying "null" for the blogging platform. What blogging platform are you using - WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr....?

Thanks,

Lance"

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Jesper,

I ran into a problem uploading images to BlogEngine with Blogsy.  I was wondering whether you had tried that?

"Thank you for sending error codes. These error codes are being sent back by your blog. The error is saying  <value>The given path's format is not supported.</value>. I have never seen this error message before. And the error codes is saying "null" for the blogging platform. What blogging platform are you using - WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr....?

Thanks,

Lance"

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:35 AM
tmrog wrote:

Jesper,

Thanks,

Lance"

Hi, 

I haven't had problems uploading images from my iPad. I just tried again now and it works fine for me. 

/Jesper

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Hmmm...I wonder what the difference is.  I had no problem uploading images from BlogPress.  Just can't get it to work from Blogsy.

Any specific configuration that you know of?

Ted

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Jesper,

How can I get this fix?

Ted

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM
tmrog wrote:

Jesper,

How can I get this fix?

Ted

Which fix? The Metaweblog API fix I did? 

I guess just clone my fork of the project and build it locally... it's basically a 1-liner that just adds a <string> tag around the description field in the XML output. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Jesper et al,

I have some more data from the upload.  I discovered that BlogPress works because it uploads images to the BlogPress site.  Blogsy tries to upload to my BlogEngine blog.

Here are the results from the instrumentation.  I'm not sure what the path is supposed to look like.  I thought at first that it might be due to spaces in the name but I changed that and it still doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Date: 9/24/2012 6:19:41 PM
path = E:\web\tmrogcom000\htdocs\App_Data\files\Photo_Aug_4,_2012,_5:09_AM.jpg
Date: 9/24/2012 6:19:41 PM
Exception = The given path's format is not supported.

Ted

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Never mind.  It is the colon in the name.

Ted

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I fixed the problem when colons are passed in as part of the name in NewMediaObject().

I have submitted a pull request with a fix for this.

Ted