Email forwarding issues, solutions?

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I am the webhoster of and have been using BE for several years and love it.

I have run into an issue with out current webhoster and seeking advice for fellow BE users.  Our current hoster has stopped allowing email forwarding to free email servers such as Gmail,Yahoo and others.  

This has created issues with our board members receiving email, they do not want to check another emai server to receive their sahc email and most of the email domains they are using to not allow retrieving email from 3rd email servers.

Can anyone recommend a solution to my problem?  Maybe an external email server or a web hoster that works great with BE and allows email forwarding to free email domains.

Thanks jfor your help.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Anyone using Arvixe or Discountasp for their BE hosting provider?

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Hi Jerry,

If you are using Arvixe and using WebSite panel as your control panel.

You can forward your emails from the settings in the mail section.

If your current hoster stop forwarding emails another option instead of switching hosting providers would be to

use a 3rd party email hosting provider that allows forwarding by changing your Email DNS settings in your web hosting DNS records.

Key word here is "Email Hosting Provider"  and not an Email provider.

Google Apps offers this option.

In my experience if you are sending and receiving a lot of emails.

It is best to use a 3rd party as your email provider in stead of using the default web hosting/hoster email server.

Here is a sample of a "Web" DNS record

mail        <---- Put 3rd Party here
mail2       <---- Put 3rd Party here
MX     [10],             
MX     [21],

When a web site is hosted it uses 4 different servers.

Normally when you get your website hosted from a hosting provider they provide you these 4 servers under one roof.

All your "eggs" are in one basket.

Sometimes if one goes down it takes the others with it.

For ease of use and for low to medium level service levels this is ok.

But, if you have high volumes of traffic or email or you need 24/7/365 uptime and email is very important.

You might want to use an 3rd party email provider.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Thanks we use a third party for sending the Newsletter notification from Be, we have about 22 SAHC email addresses for board members and volunteers such as, these folks want their sahc email forwarded to their personal email addresses so they can check their email in one place.

Softsys used to allow forwarding to free email domains such as AOL, Gmail, etc. They now do not allow this so we wanted a host that did not have email forwarding restrictions.  

We have 2 Newsletters on our BE website with a combined subscription total of about 450 .  So if I post several times a day you can see the issue here, so we went with a 3r party for our SMPT.

I have over 800 users in the SqlServerCe database that login to download our eBulletin and view restricted areas of the website.  

Check out the site at, it is a large site with a lot of files and a photo gallery. One of the Newsletters is custom and sends out a notification whenever a eHike is posted.  This was programmed by Ben from BE.  

There are a lot of helpful folks here that offer their skills and time to a soon to be 69 year old senior geek.  I really like BE.