Users not showing up

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Sep 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I am using SqlServerCE, just deployed on a new host server, I was only able to login by resetting my password, after logging in as Admin, clicking on users, none show up.  I added this to the web.cofig,

<jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="2147483644" />

I cannot login with any username and password unless the password is reset and then only login works.

When I add a new user, which it does OK, it does not show in the list, no users show.

Pages and posts show up ok.

Any suggestions?

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM

My one suggestion is the "clear" password format, I brought up in your other post. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I made sure that the password is set to clear, this issue is very strange to me.  

No one can log in until they reset their password, which is creating a lot of bad feelings, I have 800 users and telling them this is a chore as most of them do not read the post on the issue. after doing this the login works fine.  

I can also create a new user but again nothing is visible under admin users.  If I download the database everything is OK in the user table with the latest user creation.  I really would like to be able to view the users online.  

I hope someone can figure this out.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I checked the server web config and found the error, apparently I neglected to upload the file after changing it locally and it needed this:

<jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="2147483644" />

Is there a way for users passwords to show up in admin/users, I think it would be a great feature, actually the ability to edit passwords as the email is, would be very nice.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

So do you still have the issue where users cannot log in using their old passwords, and they need to reset their passwords?

If you look at the be_Users table, are you seeing everyone's password should up as clear text?  And then if you create a new user or reset someone's password and look at the be_Users table again for that new/updated user, is the password showing up as clear text?

If all the existing users have clear text passwords, and new users you create now (or reset their passwords for) are also showing up in the be_Users table as clear text passwords, then it doesn't seem to make sense why the original passwords are not working.  If you have a chance, maybe you can copy and paste here your latest web.config file (the one being used on the live site).

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Hi Ben,

I finally got this cleared up, I had made sure that I had changed hashed to clear in the web.config and uploaded it, but not in time before some users tried to login and of course their clear passwrords would not work and they had to reset passwords.  Then when I could not see the users on the admin/users page I remembered about <jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="2147483644" /> and changed the web.config.

With the old hoster and the newhoster I got mixed up with what web.config went where and neglected to upload it to the new server.  When I did it worked fine.

I believe I put this info in another post instead of this one.  So what I finally ended up with is BE working fine on the new server and not working on the old server, I never could get it loading.

I had a domain registar transfer pending and could not change the DNS to point to the new server so I thought I was going be be down for days.  Then I remembered about pointing to a url in the control panel and tried to do that, I ended up getting support to point to a temporary alternate url which will be in effect until the DNS changes.

So all is well, the point of doing all this is because the old host quit forwarding email to free email domains and even some like comcast. We have 21 SAHC email accounts forwarding to personal addresses and the board members and volunteers did not like going to a email web panel and checking SAHC email. The new host does not have any email forwarding issues, at least not yet.  The new server is faster then the old server and when the DNS changes the email forwarding will kick in.

It has been a journey, thanks for your help.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

That's good news.  Too bad about the email forwarding issues at the old place.  Although you have it worked out now, one possible option for these types of situations is to find a 3rd party email provider that is not connected to your web host.  If you can find a good one, you can keep your web hosting at the same place, and just use the 3rd party email provider for either just sending out emails and/or for both sending & receiving.  In other words, it doesn't have to be where the web hoster and email hoster are the same.  But it sounds like it worked out though with the faster server, etc.  Thanks for the feedback.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:36 PM

On your recommendation in the past we did switch to an 3rd party SMTP email server for our sending, it is workingfine sending out all the Newsletter notifications.