Database

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:58 AM
I'm curious about the choice to use a bunch of XML files instead of a database. I can understand the benefit of storing data without a database, but if you have SQL Server at the ready I'm thinking that XML files are considerably less efficient. I would love to hear if anyone knows why SQL Server seems to have been avoided.

I'm also curious as to how much work is involved in switching over to a database. So far, I have not been able to find any information on this. It's not worth it to spend days rewriting this very large project. But if it was designed to make it easy, I'd love to take advantage of that.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2008 at 4:06 AM
It seems like XML storage performs well based on the comments of others on the BlogEngine Discussions.

SQL Server support is available and seemingly quite mature as it's been around for some time now.  The instructions to switch from XML to SQL Server can be found at:

http://razorant.com/blogenginewiki/
(look for "Using SQL Server for data instead of XML")

There's a lot of good information at the above page.  You can also search the discussion board for other information you may be looking for.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:39 AM
Looks like just what I need. Thanks!