Making Blog a "Subsite"

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:03 AM
I have an existing site and would really like to make my blog a subsite of the main site. At first blush, I suspect the answer would be to put the BlogEngine stuff in a subfolder and then setup to point to that subfolder. (If anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them.)

Unfortunately, the code doesn't seem oriented to this. First of all, there is a ton of stuff in Web.Config that cannot go in a subfolder (I'm really starting to dislike Web.Config. It's great to be able to edit miscellaneous settings but Visual Studio dumps tons of stuff in there and then I really don't know how to edit it when I need the live version for my Web server.) In addition, there seems to be numerous references to files that are specified as a full path (starting with ~/) and these links appear to break if the blog is moved to a subfolder.

Has anyone successfully implemented their blog as a subfolder? It's probably not worth it to me if it is a significant rewrite. I was just curious if it was designed in a way that would support this without a great deal of changes.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:40 AM
There are NO changes need it to run as a subdirectory ( Create the subdirectory (make sure you set it as an application starting point in IIS) drop the be files in it, set perms on the data directory and "that's all folks!". Do not make any changes to BE when installing this way.
Nov 14, 2008 at 9:26 PM
That's great if that's all that's needed. Thanks I'll look into that.

However, I haven't got quite that far. I use a shared hosting service. Right now, I'm just trying to run the site in Visual Studio. However, I don't see an option in Visual Studio to do this. Instead, it refuses to run the site citing an error with some of the entries in Web.Config files that are not in the root directory.

I may be able to work through this, but if you know of something I may have missed, I'd love to hear about it.
Nov 14, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2008 at 9:56 PM
I guess we need to be clear we are talking about the same thing first.
Which of these two scenarios are you trying to accomplish?

1. Installing the blog into a folder within your parent site such as
  2. Installing the blog to its own web such as

#2 is as I described because it is treated just as a standalone (root) website and needs no further configuration. To get this working in visual studio just create a new root website under the Default web site in IIS not under another created web within the Default web site (assumed XP or Vista running IIS).

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:22 PM
Ultimately, I'm trying to accomplish your scenario 2.
Wouldn't this normally be accomplished by creating a subdirectory for this site and then pointing to that subdirectory?

I think I follow you now. I ended up creating a separate Visual Studio project for the blog. (I thought it would've been nice to have it a subfolder of the main site on my local drive but I guess that's not necessary.) You're saying leave it as I have it. Then, when I upload it to my host server, upload the blog to a subdirectory that is marked as a root website. I'm not sure what's involved in that but will look into it. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the help!
Nov 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM
That sounds right. You will probably find what you are looking for in your host's control panel under "subdomain".