Tip for starting using SQL & Hashed password

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:45 AM
The following is a tip for getting started using SQL instead of XML for blogengine.net and will save you a significant headache.  Getting this right drove me CRAZY!!

After running the sql scripts to create your database structure and initial content you need to go to users.xml and copy the hashed password and paste it into the admin password field in be_users.  Else you will not be able to "ever" login:  1)  the password is blank and login will not allow you to enter a blank password.  2)  you cannot type in the field in the database because it is expecting it to be hashed.  3)  you can't use clear and then switch to hashed because you need a hashed password anyways to be able to login once you switch it over.

** It is extremely simple solution but critical.  I would actually recommend updating the sql script to include the hashed admin password.
Nov 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM
Thanks for posting. I just went through the same procedure and it looks like you may have saved me some headaches.

I know we can't complain. BlogEngine is a great value! Still, it's hard to understand how some things like this weren't caught by whoever put that together.
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2008 at 1:10 AM
Funny, I was just doing some BE work related to this today ...

I found that if you have a blank password for the user in the be_Users table, you can log in using the password "admin".  After logging in, you can then go through the Change Password process to create a password -- when asked for your current password, again use "admin".