Problem viewing blog pages when everything else works!

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM

I've installed the blog, and the entire admin page and the home page work great (I can add entries and view them on the home page), but when I try to click on one of the entries to go to its own page, I get the following error.  Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? If more info is needed to diagnose this, let me know!

Cheers, eh!!

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /blog/post/test.aspx
Jan 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM
I have the same issue. I cannot view posts or pages that I create. I can't figure out what I did to cause this.

I am working with a VB version of the template.

@fetidtoaster; did you ever find a solution?
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM
I'm having this exact same problem.  What has anyone done to fix this?
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM
Hey @Locksley, I did some more snooping around yesterday and I wonder if it might be an issue with IIS and how it deals with some values in web.config. I openned a support ticket with my hosting company; still haven't heard anything though. 

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:15 PM
If there isn't a test.aspx page in your site, then the product is supplying this url. It sounds like when a page is created and the url is to be stored then this default value is added.
Jan 15, 2009 at 7:25 PM
Its not exactly test.aspx, its the name of the blog that we created...

/blog/post/{blogname}.aspx

So, if I create a Blog entry, "Cold Front Chills North East", then the blog shows up on the home page, but once you try to do anything with it, view it, delete it etc., it attempts to take you to:
/blog/post/cold-front-chills-north-east.aspx and gives you the error above:

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /blog/post/test.aspx

I don't know if it was actually supposed to be creating that file, or if its using its own HttpHandler for it, is it a configuration issue?  Is it because I'm on Vista which means I'm running IIS 7?  Something is not stirring the kool-aid.
Jan 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM
SOLUTION:
Actually, the problem for all of you that are struggling with this, is because the designers of this application only defined their HttpModules and HttpHandlers within the system.web section of the Web.config, which is where you would define them for use with IIS 6.

IF, however, you are running your application on IIS 7, (Vista or Windows Server 2008) you would need these modules to be defined in the system.webServer section of web.config, within the modules and handlers nodes.  The structure of these nodes are a little different from their legacy counterpart.  I will attempt to add in what you need to this post and hopefully the formatting will not make it too ugly.

The 'modified' modules from what's built in are commented.  This is really something that they should have done for you.

<

system.webServer>

<

validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>

<

modules>

<

remove name="ScriptModule"/>

<

add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<!--

BlogEngine.Net IIS 7 Modules -->

<

add name="WwwSubDomainModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.WwwSubDomainModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>

<

add name="UrlRewrite" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.UrlRewrite, BlogEngine.Core"/>

<

add name="CompressionModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>

<

add name="ReferrerModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.ReferrerModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>

</

modules>

<

handlers>

<

remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>

<

remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory"/>

<

remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"/>

<

remove name="ScriptResource"/>

<

add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<

add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<

add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<!--

BlogEngine.Net IIS 7 Handlers -->

<

add name="File" verb="*" path="file.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.FileHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Image" verb="*" path="image.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.ImageHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Syndication" verb="*" path="syndication.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.SyndicationHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Sitemap" verb="*" path="sitemap.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.SiteMap, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Trackback" verb="*" path="trackback.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.TrackbackHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Pingback" verb="*" path="pingback.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.PingbackHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Opensearch" verb="*" path="opensearch.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.OpenSearchHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Metaweblog" verb="*" path="metaweblog.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.API.MetaWeblog.MetaWeblogHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Rsd" verb="*" path="rsd.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.RsdHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Css" verb="*" path="css.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.CssHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Js" verb="*" path="js.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.JavaScriptHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Rating" verb="*" path="rating.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.RatingHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Opml" verb="*" path="opml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.OpmlHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Blogml" verb="*" path="blogml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.BlogMLExportHandler, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Sioc" verb="*" path="sioc.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Sioc, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Apml" verb="*" path="apml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Apml, BlogEngine.Core" />

<

add name="Foaf" verb="*" path="foaf*.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Foaf, BlogEngine.Core" />

</

handlers>

</

system.webServer>

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM
If you're on IIS7, you can download the latest copy of BE on the Source Code tab above.  It includes a <system.webServer> section for IIS7 in the web.config file.  It's probably also best to delete the entire <httpHandlers> and <httpModules> sections in the web.config file since they are redundant and not needed when you have the same handlers/modules defined in the <system.webServer> section.
Jan 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM
@Locksley I'm a web.config n00b. Not sure where I'm supposed to add your code. I tried in a few places, but it causes the site to not work

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM
The above didn't work for me. I did more research and found other popular BE solutions like ASPone's web.config (http://wiki.aspone.cz/wiki/images/3/34/Web.config) which didn't work for me, in fact caused my site to stop working all together. The web.config addtion from this thread (http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=42541) allows my site to work, but doesn't correct my 404 Resource Cannot Be Found.

Poor me.

Tomorrow I'll likely try to use 1.4.5 C# to eliminate some variables (I'm currently using 1.4.0 in the VB version that used to be hosted here, but is gone now http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2008/08/vb-blogengine-net1-4.html) I really need this to work!
Feb 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM
I finally got mine working. I describe in some detail here http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=42541