Google sitemap problem

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:25 PM
I know that Google sitemap should be in the root, but I can't find it. Is there something I need to do to auto-generate it? I've got a new blog, but I've been testing it for a while, so I would have expected something to have been generated.
I did upgrade my theme from an earlier version, so perhaps I've broken it - can you point me in the right direction to try and get this working.
Thanks

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Elsa,

Your Google sitemap really is www.yoursite.com/sitemap.axd

This doesn't appear physically as a file on the root of your site, but it is automatically rendered and served from the IIS web-service. I'm sure a .NET C# expert could explain that in more detail.

You need to add the sitemap at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dashboard/

Hope that helps.
Nick

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM
Hi Nick - thanks for the response.

I wasn't able to find the sitemap at that URL originally, but it may have been because I wrote the first post while still in my dev enviroment locally. Once I edited it on my live site it seems to have generated the sitemap.

Thanks again for the help.
Dec 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM
... and a reminder to DELETE the "Welcome to BE on SQL Server" post which renders an incorrect date error (0001-01-01) as a Google Sitemap.