Using Database (Redux)

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:31 AM
I've set my blogs to use a SQL Server database as described in the files under the SETUP subdirectory. I have it working, but notice that blogs are being stored as XML files in the App_Data folder.

Has anyone documented what the database stores, or what is still stored in App_Data folder?

I have several reasons why I'd prefer to use SQL Server, but I could save money for a non-SQL-Server account if data is just being stored in XML files anyway.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:17 PM

I'm a new user (/convert) to BE.Net and am using VistaDB - I'm not seeing the same behaviour as you (my blogs are being stored in my db  -the only things I'm seeing stored in the App_Data folder are images I use in the blog) so perhaps you may need to double check that you've changed all of the appropriate web.config settings to use the db instead of the XML provider (I'm using 1.4.5 if that makes a difference)

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM
Yeah, on closer inspection I see posts are being saved in the database. I don't quite understand exactly what is happening there. I'll start a new discussion on some of my questions.

Did you delete anything from your App_Data folder? If that's not used, I'd like to eliminate it. Then I could better determine what is being stored there as it currently contains many files. If anyone knows which files are safe to delete, I'd love to hear.