Version 2.7

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Nov 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Hello to All,

Is upgrading to version 2.7 really necessary? So far, my blog seems to be running fine (that I know of).

I read the instructions for upgrading to 2.7 from a version earlier than 2.5

I think I have version 2.1 (I think)…

I'm a little confused and a little frightened to upgrade…  I know I'm a wuss.

In the instructions it says to save only four of the files from the previous versions… I've also changed some of the settings and a few other things.

Newbie question: should I be saving the settings file as well? And any other files that I have made changes to?

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Hi,

upgrading worked great. I changed from version 2 to 2.7 and had a custom theme, changes inside the Core dll, web.config file and other files.

I used the instructions from here http://blogengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Upgrading%20to%20BlogEngine.NET%202.7 and had no issues. I did the changes and upgrade in my DEV environment first and checked it... then I copied it to my own server (no GoDaddy hosting).

But be aware (or maybe I just understood you wrong...):

"In the instructions it says to save only four of the files from the previous versions… I've also changed some of the settings and a few other things."
-> You need to save your App_Data folder from the previous version and only 4 files from the new (!) version of the App_Data folder.

Regarding changes to other files:

I marked all my changes with a custom tag and searched for the tag so I don't miss one of my changes. Then I just upgraded using the instructions. Then I took my custom changes and checked first if it was already implemented in the new version. If no I recreated the changes in the new version.
-> So I don't recommend to copy files from the old version to the new version except the mentioned App_Data stuff. If you have extensions / custom I would manually recreate them inside the new version if you still need it.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Edited Nov 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM

When I read the instructions, it was somewhere between 2:30-4 AM… I just got done rereading… I was processing it wrong :-P

Just so I have it correct…

• Unzip version 2.7
  • Delete all of the files and folders inside of the AppData folder (except for those four files mentioned in the instructions)… In version 2.7
  • Then copy all of the files and folders in the old version (AppData folder)
  • Then copy any custom files and folders from the old version into the new version in the proper places

That's It?

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Yes that's right although you wrote in point 3 "in the old version" but I guess it's again due to the time at 3 AM ;)

By the way if you have a custom theme and referenced custom CSS or JavaScript (e.g. outside the header at the bottom) it may not get loaded depending on how you did it. I checked it using Firebug for Firefox and there you can see if every file from your theme gets loaded.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:19 AM
moddie wrote:

Yes that's right although you wrote in point 3 "in the old version" but I guess it's again due to the time at 3 AM ;)

By the way if you have a custom theme and referenced custom CSS or JavaScript (e.g. outside the header at the bottom) it may not get loaded depending on how you did it. I checked it using Firebug for Firefox and there you can see if every file from your theme gets loaded.

Yeah, I should've said "In the Old Version, copy all of the files and folders INTO the new version (2.7).

That probably would've made more sense :-P

I'm Using the Titanium X (it came with the original installation) theme.