The file '/themes/site.master' does not exist.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM
Hello All,

I just downloaded and installed BlogEngine.  I watched the videos and had no problem installing it and running it locally using a MS SQL Database as a datasource for content, members and roles.  But when I moved the application to my hosting site (webhost4life), I get the following error:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The file '/themes/site.master' does not exist.]
   System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath) +1945171
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +111
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +93
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +60
   System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner, HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary contentTemplateCollection) +103
   System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master() +48
   System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage() +18
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +685

My move consisted of building the database at my hosting site and ftp'ing the web app files.  I also created an Application and set the .NET framework to 2.0.
I have verified that all files have been copied from my local machine to the host site.  I'm limited as to what I can see on the host site, but to the best of my knowledge it is running in an Application set to 2.0 (3.0/3.5...) framework and the web.config points to the correct database.

I have seen similar error messages posted on this forum, but they seem to be addressing custom theme issues whereas this is all default.  Plus the other messages actually have a theme directory seperating "themes" and "site.master" in the path.

Can anyone provide direction?

Thanks,
James

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:28 AM
Well... I deleted everything and started over with a fresh install.  Again, it loaded just fine on my development box, but when I deployed it to my production server it through a different error:

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'site' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\501d2ce1\2b643d2d\assembly\dl3\ef098380\d4e805b5_9752c901\app_web_q8uznifc.DLL' and 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\501d2ce1\2b643d2d\assembly\dl3\794f59a0\465897b5_9752c901\app_web_rrajdvxq.DLL'

Source Error:

Line 116:    
Line 117:    [System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CompilerGlobalScopeAttribute()]
Line 118:    public class themes_standard_site_master : global::site {
Line 119:        
Line 120:        private System.Web.UI.ITemplate @__Template_cphBody;

Source File: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\501d2ce1\2b643d2d\App_Web_site.master.64377460.r4efgm3d.0.cs    Line: 118

I then compiled the project and deployed it as a compiled project and it worked.  Which leads me to believe my connection with my ISP is so bad that I couldn't transfer the project via FTP without some of the files being corrupted.  I've also had a really sluggish response from the application on my production server.  Locally it is really fast, but my server implementation is actually too slow to use.  What are other people's experiences as far as speed?

Thanks,
James
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2008 at 3:44 AM
Just curious, is your BE installation in the root directory where your site is hosted?  Or is it in a subfolder marked as a web application?
Nov 30, 2008 at 3:47 AM
It's in the root.

I was tempted to put it as a sub directory so that I could modify the Virtual Path in the web.config.. but that would have been a shot in the dark for me.

-James
Nov 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM
Are you using the "publish web site" feature in VS and then uploading the pre-compiled web?
BE is very fast. If you are experiencing slowness you either have something wrong in the installation or at the server end.