Trying to get FLV to play

Topics: Controls
Dec 3, 2008 at 9:16 PM
I am pretty new to BE.  I have a blog that is up and running on a domain, and I wanted to add the FLV player extension to it.  I went to the following link and followed the directions for installing the extension:

http://www.betaparticle.com/post/2008/02/FLV-Media-Player-for-for-BlogEngineNET.aspx

However, I am not able to get the FLV file to play, even though I followed the directions on the above page.

Can someone verify if this is the latest FLV extension for BlogEngine.NET?

Thanks,

Rod

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM
Works for me. When adding [mediaplayer:test.flv] to the page make sure editor does not insert style along with brackets, switch to HTML view and look at bracketed code making sure it's clean.
Dec 4, 2008 at 10:27 AM
FLV files will not play on a Windows 2003 server (I think 2008 also) by default.
You will need to add the mime type to your web site. You can probably add it through your control panel on a hosting account.

add extension FLV and type to flv-application/octet-stream

see the Adbe KB article at http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19439
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2008 at 3:50 PM
I think this KB only valid for streaming. At least, I did not have to do any changes on 2003 and 2008 to play FLVs.
Dec 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I found a problem that was my fault.  Now, looking into it further.

You're correct, rtur.  I am not doing streaming of the video in my blog.  I am running on Win Server 2003.

I'll report back once I check it out.
Dec 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM
I checked and there are is no style being inserted into the html, so all I have is this:

[mediaplayer:test.flv]

The video window is displayed, but when I click on the play button, you just see the wait cursor forever.  So, I may be missing something.

I just followed the directions in the link I posted, copied the Mediaplayer folder with the videos, and then added mediaplayer.cs to the extensions folder.
Dec 4, 2008 at 5:31 PM
Even though I am not streaming, I checked the MIME types and FLV was not present, so I added it.  That took care of the problem.

Thanks for all the help.