Where does the account info store?

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Hi

I'm using SQL database i have the newest BlogEngine.NET.
Where does the info (password, email etc) storage?

I can see some info in: App_Data/Users.xml. But when i change it nothing happens.
Does the data store in the database?
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2008 at 11:27 PM
Check the be_Users table in SQL.
Dec 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2008 at 9:03 AM
Nothing, http://i36.tinypic.com/11so6xw.png
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:53 PM
That screenshot isn't of the data -- it's just showing the table definition.  To see the data in the table, right click on the table name (be_Users) and select the Open or Select or Edit option (not sure what the exact name of the menu option is).
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM
I clicked edit on be_Users - http://i34.tinypic.com/iljg2v.png
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:43 PM
Okay, so Edit isn't what we want.  If you're using SQL Management Studio Express 2005, it's probably a right-click then "Open Table".  If it's version 2008, then it's a right-click, "Select Top 1000 Rows".
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:36 PM
Oh thanks mate! here it is: http://i34.tinypic.com/o8xybl.png
But i dosen't have so many admins, i only have one + an account thats named "Mikael elmlad"

I tryed to copy a backup of the blogg with a secure password nad account name "Mikael elmblad". I edit the file: App_Data/users.xml saved it and uploaded it and replac it. Then i copy my profile name Mikael Elmblad.xml to App_Data/profiles

Stil nothing, didn't could login. And today i did the same thing and NOW i can login with "Mikael elmblad" i don't understad that, does it for the blog cach the xml file or what?
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Yes, BlogEngine does do some caching of data from the XML files and SQL database.  I'm not sure about the caching of user data, though.
Dec 15, 2008 at 9:43 PM
It seems that it cash username, password and that.. I wounder how long and so.
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 10:26 PM
If you add/edit/delete users in the Admin section via the web interface using the built-in Users management, then any changes you make will be immediately available.  Only if you are directly modifying SQL data or the XML file is there is a potential for your changes to not show up right away.

To "clear" the cache so BlogEngine gets fresh data from the SQL database or the XML files, there are a few files / directories you can modify which will restart the BlogEngine application.  An application re-start will cause your blog to be unavailable for 10 - 30 seconds, so it is not something you want to do on a regular basis.  Usually making any modification to the BIN folder will cause an application re-start.  A safe way to do this is upload a copy of the BlogEngine.Core.dll file into the BIN directory.  So you would be overwriting this DLL file with itself.  Right after you do this, you should notice that your blog will be unresponsive for a short while (10 - 30 seconds).
Dec 16, 2008 at 8:50 AM
I can't edit it online because my webhotell is lame, i need ASP.NET account on the App_code folder.

So it's so easy, i can test it on my local server first, thanks for the tip! Do you know how long it take when you make change in the XML file and upload it? are we talking about hours or minutes?
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Actually, you would need to give write permissions to the ASP.NET account on the App_Data folder (not App_Code).  I don't think there's any set time limit on how long the data is cached.  If the application re-starts, cache will be cleared.  An application pool recycle probably also leads to the cache being cleared.  If your blog is not accessed for a long time, it's possible the cache will be cleared out.  Not sure exactly, but probably also if there is a limited amount of free memory on the server and other applications or websites need memory, your blog's cache may be cleared out.

Hopefully you don't need to manually modify data in App_Data on a regular basis.  Otherwise, you might want to consider storing as much data as possible in SQL Server, rather than in App_Data.