Live Writer Delete Post Problem: 1.4.5.12 upgrade from 1.4.5

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Hi,

I've been getting my new blog up and running. Initially, the ISP had a quick install (1.4.5). Live Writer connected easily, and it was fully functional, including ability to delete posts. Because of some important fixes, I upgraded to 1.4.5.12 and now Live Writer will still publish new posts, but no longer seems capable of editing or deleting posts. If I try to delete, I now get a blog server error: 

Server Error 12 Occurred

DeletePost failed.  Error: You are not authorized to delete the object

The blog uses SQL server, and as far as I can tell, all permissions are enabled.

Is there any way I can restore Live Writer's ability to edit/delete posts?

Kind Regards,

saratogacoach

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2008 at 11:56 PM
Just today, BE v1.4.5.13 was released.  The only note for this release is "Metaweblog Delete Fix (1.4.5.13)".  I just tested it out.  On 1.4.5.12, I get the delete error when deleting from Live Writer, but the deletion works in 1.4.5.13.

I'm still able to edit posts in 1.4.5.12 via Live Writer, though.  Just can't delete in 1.4.5.12.

You should still be able to delete posts via the web interface.  I can put up a ZIP file of the 1.4.5.13 compiled BIN files if you want them ...
Dec 13, 2008 at 12:38 AM
Edited Dec 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM
Hi Ben,

As long as 1.4.5.13 is stable, I will give an upgrade a try.

I'm new at this. I can't do any compiling as I don't have the tools. Can I just use the BIN files and replace these or would I need a compiled version of the complete 1.4.5.13 version?

(Of course, if all I would need to do is change out the BIN files, that would make the upgrade much easier. Would that work?)

So, please put up a zip of whatever 1.4.5.13 files I will need to do the upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

saratoga coach
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2008 at 12:57 AM
I can't say for sure if 1.4.5.13 is stable since it just came out today.  Of the few that downloaded it, I don't think anyone's run into any problems.  Usually these minor builds are just fixes of existing problems, so new problems don't usually show up.

If the only difference between 1.4.5.12 and 1.4.5.13 is in the BE core (i.e. what gets compiled), then all that's needed is to replace the files in the BIN folder.  But it's also common that non-core files that you deploy to your website also get updated in new releases.  In this case, it's either required or at least best to deploy both the core (BIN folder) files and non-core files to your website so the core and non-core files are in sync.  The core and non-core files work together.

With a file comparison tool like Beyond Compare (BC), it should be possible to compare the non-core files in 1.4.5.12 to the non-core files in 1.4.5.13 to see which files, if any, may have been changed.  I've been meaning to get BC to do stuff like this, but haven't yet.

I'll send you an email with a link to the 1.4.5.13 files, with the compiled BIN folder files.  I'll let you decide what you want to do :-)  If it were me, unless I knew there was no differences with the non-core files via checking with a file comparison tool, I'd also update the non-core files too.
Dec 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM
It looks that with 1.4.5.13 the Add Entry page is kinda broken(at least on my blog), the menu containing the options for writing a new blog entry (copy, cut, insert link, insert pictures, smileys, font options....), basically the entire row containing these options is missing. Also if I click logout on this page, nothing happens. By the way, I'm logged over TLS.
IE says that page was loaded with errors.

Windows Live Writer appears to be working fine for me too.
Dec 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2008 at 3:40 PM
Hi Adrian,

Update: Remove the check from "Use raw HTML editor" in the Add Entry page and the formatting options should re-appear.

Kind Regards,

saratogacoach
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:53 PM
Thanks S, but I wasn't using that option. Maybe I've messed up something somewhere.

Regards,
Adrian
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM
adrianf, which version of BE.NET did you upgrade from?  I doubt it's this simple, but maybe try a no-cache refresh in your browser when you first get to Add Entry (Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-R).
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM
Thanks Ben for your reply. Actually I've done that, and I've tried with different browsers. Same story.
I've upgraded from 1.4.5.12 to 1.4.5.13(I'm using the default XML provider). Basically I've replaced everything except the App_Data and the Pics folders. I'll compile one more time the 1.4.5.13 source and uploaded it again, replacing the Pics folder too. I suppose I could search with WinMerge to see what files are new.

Adrian
Dec 16, 2008 at 1:29 PM
My bad. Examining the files on the server, I've noticed that something went wrong when I've uploaded the new files on the server.
Corrected that, and now I can see those options when I'm on the Add Entry page. And I can logout too from that page.
Sorry if I've confused you.

Adrian
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Thanks for sharing this information.

regards,

sam - Tax relief

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I am too was facing similar problem.I am looking for solution.

regards,

Salon  - Loan Modification

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Thank you guys for sharing these valuable tips and techniques.

regards,

dave - Los Angeles DUI Lawyer

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM

just follow the instructions exactly salon.I too did same thing and did find useful.

regards,

Mick  - Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM

yes i will follow it and lets see how well its gonna help me.

regards,

Akhil  - Florida Real Estate