Where do I get the newest build?

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:55 AM
Hi, sorry for the "newbie" question, but where can I get the latest build?  There was a mention in another post about a 1.4.5.12 and .13 build available and I'd like to try one of them.

The "Releases" page says that the latest version was released Aug 1, but updated Dec 12.  I downloaded every possible way from this page, and all the date stamps on the files are from August - same as what I currently have. 

On the "Source Code" page, I see a number of different versions, so I downloaded the latest one (Friday at 12:45PM, change set 22964) and it looked like it was all there.  I went through the upgrade process and the site didn't work.  In looking through all the files, it appears that the .bin directory is empty on the new build (actually, on all the builds on this page).  I tried copying the files from the .bin directory of 1.4.5, but that's definitely out of sync (as expected).

Probably a stupid question, but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
www.HalfBakedLunatic.com
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 2:09 AM
The latest builds in the Source Code section do not include the compiled files for the BIN folder.  If you have Visual Studio, you can compile the BlogEngine.Core project to produce the BIN folder files.  I have a ZIP file of 1.4.5.13 including the compiled BIN folder files if you need it.
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM
Thanks Ben - Please email it to me at TheLunatic(at)HalfBakedLunatic.com

I have Visual Studio 2008, but I only use VB. I've never done any web development or C/C# stuff (which I guess I should learn, considering that I worked at Microsoft for nine years! - but I was an Audio/Video engineer/manager in the Windows Media group, not a programmer.)

Any particular reason why these files aren't included?  Would be nice if there was some better info on either the "releases" page or the "source code" page about this.

Thanks much!
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:14 PM
I just sent you an email.  Probably because the changesets in Source Code aren't offical releases, the compiled files aren't included.  I wouldn't think including them would hurt though.

If you have Visual Studio 2008, even if all you've done is VB, to compile the BlogEngine.Core project doesn't require any coding.  What I do is:

(1) In Visual Studio, File -> Open -> Project/Solution.  Navigate to the BlogEngine.Core.csproj project file in the DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic folder.  If any "the project location is not trusted" warnings come up, click OK to ignore and continue.

(2) In the VS toolbar area, there should be a dropdown box with "Debug" and "Release" options, choose "Release".

(3) In the VS menu, Build -> Build BlogEngine.Core.

(4) Upon successful build, in Windows Explorer, you should see 1 or 2 sub-folders under DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\bin.  These folders are "Debug" and "Release".  If you selected "Release" in step 2, then the three files produced from the build will be in the Release folder.  If Debug was selected in step 2, then the three files produced from the build will be in the Debug folder.
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2008 at 11:34 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to similarly compile the 3 needed BIN files from the source code using one of the free Visual Studio 2008 Express editions? If yes, which one of the Express editions would work? Would the process be the same as outlined in the above post?

Kind Regards,

saratogacoach
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM
You should definitely be able to compile the project with the Express edition.  I'm not using Express, but compiling is definitely one of the basic features Express would have.  On this page, you'd want either the Visual Web Developer 2008 or C# 2008 version.  I'm not 100% sure which, although in this post, rtur mentioned the C# express version.
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:54 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2008 at 12:18 AM
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the leads. Yes, I'm not sure which edition, and given my limited knowledge not sure how to find out except "trial and error."

I also have an uninstalled 2003 Visual Basic.net standard, but I suspect that it is too outdated, even if a service pack were to be added, to compile the source codes. Probably not worth a try.

Again, thanks.

Kind Regards,

saratogacoach
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:59 AM
Hi,

The Visual C# 2008 Express Edition (which includes SP1) works to compile the 3 BIN files from the source files.

Kind Regards,

saratogacoach
Mar 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM
Edited Mar 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Moved post to correct discussion.
Sep 24, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Yeah i have to have similar query.Hope i find the solution.

regards,

Sam - Tax Relief

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Hey,

I just wanted to add that after reading the comments above, i was able to download visual web developer 2008 express - complile and build the latest source and upload straight up onto my site.   i made sure i set "Release" options before building.

The only thing i didnt upload was the app_data folder, robots.txt and i had to delete the app_code\extensionsmanager folder.  i overwrote the existing web.config too.  all other existing extensions all worked with no issues.

Nice one guys!

Eric

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Thank you guys for sharing this solute with us.Its helpful.

regards,

salon -  Loan Modification

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I too wanna know where i can fin this newest build,can i get trial version before i can purchase it.

regards,

dave - Los Angeles DUI Lawyer

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I was looking for solution but did not find it.

regards,

Mick  - Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Me confused with somethings over here, i working on them.

regards,

Akhil  - Florida Real Estate