Create link to return viewer to website's index page

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM
Hi,

I am trying to integrate my blog into a redesigned website. The website's template (CSS) has navigation links, one of which is for the blog (in a website folder named /blogs). This works OK, but I can't seem to arrange the blog as a new window even though I've set the target in the link to_blank. Whether using IE7 or FF, pop-up blocker off and FF display in new window tab checked, the blog window will not display as a new window.

So, the only work-a-round I can think of would be to add a link to the blog pages displayed on all pages that can be configured to return the viewer to the website's index page. As a newbie, I can't figure out how to do this, what page (s) to add a link to, how to script it, what script to add, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help.

Kind Regards,

saratogacoach
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM
Links with a _blank target open up in a new tab by default in more recent browsers (as you found).  A target of _blank doesn't mean a new window ... just means to navigate to a link in something other than the current window.  I prefer tabs myself, so I'm not complaining :-)

All of the pages on your blog use the site.master file in your theme folder.  Site.master has the navigation links to About, Contact, Subscribe, etc.  All you would need to do is add a hyperlink in site.master pointing to the root of your website.  You might want to add this link where the other links are (About, Contact ...) or anywhere you'd like.  No scripting or coding is required.

<a href="/">Main Site</a>
Dec 17, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Thanks, Ben.

That worked!

Kind Regards,

saratogacoach