Busby SEO Test

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM
I'm getting what looks like comment spam all about Busby SEO Test.  What is this, and is there a non-programming way I can stop it?

...Matt
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:39 PM
Non-programming... wouldn't think so, but that depends on your definition of 'programming.'

This extension is available:
http://rtur.net/blog/post/2008/12/02/Commentor-new-extension-for-BlogEngine.aspx

Works like a champ on my blogs.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM
And if some still get through you can load up my Blacklist Extension for Author Names which allows you to add your own filter.
Dec 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM
I wrote a custom extension for my busby villian.

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Text;
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;
using BlogEngine.Core;
using BlogEngine.Core.DataStore;
using BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls;
using System.ComponentModel;

/// <summary>
/// The <see cref="BusbyKiller"/>
/// class prevents SEO comments being saved.
/// </summary>
[Extension("Kills SEO comments", "1.0",
    "<a href='http://www.neovolve.com/' target='_blank'>Rory Primrose</a>")]
public class BusbyKiller
{
    /// <summary>
    /// Initializes a new instance of the <see cref="BusbyKiller"/> class.
    /// </summary>
    public BusbyKiller()
    {
        // Hook up the adding comment events
        Post.AddingComment += CheckComment;
    }

/// <summary>
    /// Checks the comment.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="sender">The sender.</param>
    /// <param name="e">The <see cref="BlogEngine.Core.CancelEventArgs"/> instance containing the event data.</param>
    private static void CheckComment(Object sender, CancelEventArgs e)
    {
        Comment comment = sender as Comment;

if (comment.Title.IndexOf("SEO", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) > -1)
        {
            e.Cancel = true;

return;
        }

if (comment.Author.IndexOf("SEO", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) > -1)
        {
            e.Cancel = true;

return;
        }

if (comment.Content.IndexOf("SEO", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) > -1)
        {
            e.Cancel = true;

return;
        }

if (comment.Description.IndexOf("SEO", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) > -1)
        {
            e.Cancel = true;

return;
        }

if (comment.Website.ToString().IndexOf("SEO", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) > -1)
        {
            e.Cancel = true;

return;
        }

if (comment.Email.IndexOf("SEO", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) > -1)
        {
            e.Cancel = true;

return;
        }

}
}

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM
These Bu$by S30 Test comments are coming from competitors in a search engine optimization contest. An Australian company, Bu$by Web $olutions, is offering prize money to those who can get their sites ranked the hightest (within the contest rules). 

You'll find that the post contains a linkback to the competors site. The idea is; the more linkbacks, the better chance Google will rank their site higher. It's a very intuitive way of getting the traffic to their site; but a bother to some of us none-the-less.  I wouldn't be surprised that in the future others take this same approach for optimizing their own sites.

I've installed Chris Blankenship's Commentor Blacklist Extension (http://www.dscoduc.com/post/2008/12/04/Blacklist-Extension-for-Author-Names.aspx) and it works like a charm. (thanks a bunch Chris!!)

Cheers,

Paul
Blog