This project is read-only.

Password Retrieval…

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I'm such a dork!

I use Microsoft Web matrix to download BlogEngine on my development machine. I also experimented with other CMS's on my development machine. Just to save space, I Deleted BlogEngine.

I've come full circle and decided that I should use BlogEngine. Problem is, instead of bringing me to the admin page to set up a new account. I get the regular login page.

I'm a newbie web developer taking classes at:

e-learningcenter dot com/web_design dot htm

I'm pretty close to about two thirds of the way done.

Anyway, if someone would be so kind to tell me how I can either retrieve or completely delete the old original admin username and password that's probably stored in a database on my development machine.

I've already tried to click on the, "forgot password" link… There is only one e-mail address I used for my websites. It said it could not find the e-mail address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,



Jan 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM

You should be able to open up the xml file in the App Data folder and change the password or add another user and password using Web Matrix assuming you didn't setup a database, is so open up the user table and do the same process.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM

How do I reset lost admin password?

If you are using default XML provider:

1. Get to your website (usually by FTP to your web server).
2. Open /app_data/users.xml in the text editor, for example notepad.
3. Remove password from your admin account, meaning:

change from:


If you are using SQL then instead of XML file update DB table:
UPDATE be_Users SET Password = '' WHERE UserName = 'admin'

4. Restart web site, easiest way is to open web.config and add a space to the comment and save it. Comments are:
<!-- anywhere between tags like these -->

Now you should be able to log in as admin/admin.

If you don't have Admin account in the users.xml file, add new user tag like so:

<LastLoginTime>2007-12-05 20:46:40</LastLoginTime>

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM

everything is still on my development machine.

I'm not using the SQL Server database. Just whatever the defaults were/are.

Your fix, should still work on my development machine?

I will go try these, regardless to see if that will fix it.

I'll report back later.

Thanks for the reply.


Jan 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I downloaded version 2.7 and made it clean install.

When I went to go look at the file, "users.XML"… There was a very long password they're just like you said with the username is admin. So I tried a couple of things a couple of different ways. First way was, deleting the very long password just like you said. After saving, I opened up the homepage on my development machine, click on login, the username admin was not pre-populated. I added the username admin with no password and click on login. That didn't work. While still using the admin username, I tried to add in my own password. That didn't work.

I close my browser, went back to Web matrix and open the users.XML again… This time, I got rid of the username admin and tried to put in a custom username and password in the places where you shown in your first reply.

None of that work either.


Flushing my DNS, you would think it wouldn't have any effect because this is on my development machine. Nevertheless, I will try it anyway.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM

flushing my DNS didn't work either.

I'm at a stalemate.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I'm confused. You don't have to do anything on new install - just log in with admin/admin and that's it.