Pingback on unpublished posts?

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:09 PM
I was writing a post today in unpublished mode and saved it a few times to see how it looked. About half way through I get an error email sent to my account  (created by code in global.asa) saying Googleboot 2.1 could not access my new file path. Anyone know how to turn off the ping notification temporarily until this gets fixed? Thanks!
Dec 26, 2008 at 6:25 PM
Do you mean disabling Ping Services or Pingbacks?  Pingbacks can be turned off on the Settings tab, under Advanced Settings, there's 'Send' and 'Receive' checkboxes for pingbacks (and trackbacks).

For Ping Services, other than temporarily deleting the services, I don't see any simple way to disable ping services.  You could swap the pingservices.xml file in App_Data with an empty pingservices.xml.  Empty meaning a file that looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<services />

If you're using SQL storage, then temporarily clearing out the be_PingService table would be equivalent method.  But BE.NET may not detect changes that have been manually done to the data store if the data is being cached.
Dec 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Edited Dec 26, 2008 at 9:55 PM
I mean ping service sorry. It seems if I save a copy of an unpublished post it sets off the ping service resulting 404 page errors because some services act fast i.e Google. I'm going to submit this as a bug.

Bug Report